Btimmer's Blog of the Nieuw Statendam Inaugural Voyage

Btimmer

9 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Thanks too, Tim, for your Blog and the wonderful commentary and photos you shared with all of us.  It was an honor to meet you in person, also.  

I wish you and Angela a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Prosperous and Voyage-Filled New Year!

~Barbara~

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well Barbara.  We had good flights home (9 hours in total) and rougher than on the ship.  Today we are scurrying around in Christmas preparations with our family and friends.

Tim

14 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Thanks for posting this, Tim!  I never saw the Prinsendam, but I did catch the Koningsdam for a really short time!  The blowing of the ship's horns in salute was amazing!  I wish we had been told it was going to happen so we could have been on deck or at least on balcony to witness it in person.  :classic_sad:  That is one of those Once in a Lifetime occasions.

We just happened to be in the Crow's Nest for a presentation when the Captain announced the sailby of the Prinsendam, and the Koningsdam appeared unannounced and on a collision course until it made a sharp starboard turn to pass by our port side.  The Prinsendam was the first HAL ship we sailed on in 2013 after coming back to cruising in 2012.  We also sailed the last voyage of the old Statendam Seattle to Singapore.  Later we sailed on the Christening Cruise of the Koningsdam and now we have completed the Premiere voyage on the Nieuw Statendam.  I think I know what we will be doing in a couple years when the 3rd Pinnacle Class ship is launched. . .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

We just happened to be in the Crow's Nest for a presentation when the Captain announced the sailby of the Prinsendam, and the Koningsdam appeared unannounced and on a collision course until it made a sharp starboard turn to pass by our port side.  The Prinsendam was the first HAL ship we sailed on in 2013 after coming back to cruising in 2012.  We also sailed the last voyage of the old Statendam Seattle to Singapore.  Later we sailed on the Christening Cruise of the Koningsdam and now we have completed the Premiere voyage on the Nieuw Statendam.  I think I know what we will be doing in a couple years when the 3rd Pinnacle Class ship is launched. . .

That was obviously set up specifically for you and Angela, Tim!  I am glad you were in a place to see it well and enjoy it.  Maybe you need to let them know after you book the Premiere Voyage on the 3rd PC, so that they can organize another fabulous display for you (even though the Prinsendam will be missing, of course)!  :classic_wink:

~Barbara~

Edited by beachbunny6

34 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

No problem.  I totally concur with your comments, and I included lots of detail in my response to the survey.  Fortunately, John at the front desk became an ally and helped me navigate through the numerous overcharges.  Something is dreadfully wrong with their accounting system (I'm a retired CPA and quite familiar with computers and systems).

We also commented in the survey about the overcharges.  We had no problem with the staff, really, they were always apologetic, but it would take days to get things taken care of.   The last morning we were waiting in line again to get them to change  a Tamarind overcharge, and there was a lady in line ahead of us, very upset.  I guess she hadn't checked her account previously, and they had been charging her the HST, although she had the pre-paid gratuities perk.  Just hope she got that organized before she disembarked.   

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We also commented in the survey about the overcharges.  We had no problem with the staff, really, they were always apologetic, but it would take days to get things taken care of.   The last morning we were waiting in line again to get them to change  a Tamarind overcharge, and there was a lady in line ahead of us, very upset.  I guess she hadn't checked her account previously, and they had been charging her the HST, although she had the pre-paid gratuities perk.  Just hope she got that organized before she disembarked.   

Good to know it wasn't just me. I left the ship on  the 19th not sure where I was account wise. Waiting for a credit card statement…..

21 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Good to know it wasn't just me. I left the ship on  the 19th not sure where I was account wise. Waiting for a credit card statement…..

What would be interesting is to know what the response to, I imagine, many, many complaints on the survey is going to be - hope anyone who hears from HAL will post!

Welcome back to the PNW , Tim. Thanks for bringing us just a little blue sky from sunny Florida.  We fly out of Seattle later this week for the 12/30 sailing. I've really enjoyed reading along and it certainly has me looking forward to our adventures next week. Merry Christmas!  Laura

1 hour ago, lauramiddl said:

Welcome back to the PNW , Tim. Thanks for bringing us just a little blue sky from sunny Florida.  We fly out of Seattle later this week for the 12/30 sailing. I've really enjoyed reading along and it certainly has me looking forward to our adventures next week. Merry Christmas!  Laura

Laura, 

Thanks and you're welcome.  I think you'll love the Nieuw ship.

Tim