Gift Certificates and Customer Service

I gotta say I’m a bit impressed with some attention I got yesterday from Royal. I signed on to my cruise planner and noticed my make payment link was no longer grayed out. Strange as I had been paid off for a while. I clicked on it and it showed I had a $100 balance left to pay. I had of course already paid it off long ago well before final which was November 19.

Needless to say I immediately called Royal and spoke with a rep. I was on the phone with them for about 40 minutes, most of it on hold. I do have to say they seemed to be sympathetic to my issue. Finally the girl got back on and stated they had initiated the fix and it may take a while but it would be taken care of.

I can just imagine some computer glitch seeing me owing a balance after final payment and cancelling me. Anyway, I had actually been in the same predicament 2 cruises ago. The exact same thing happened and it took several days to clear up. Actually didn’t get cleared up till I sent an email to M Bayley. A rep eventually called me and had it fixed in minutes.

This time I went ahead and sent the email right after I contacted customer service. Well last night I got a call from Tamika from the executive office. She just called to tell me it was all taken care of and if I had any more issues to not hesitate to call her. Even gave me her direct extension. Very nice and helpful.

Here’s the kicker. The problem stems from me buying gift certificates and for some reason when I redeemed them to OBC on my other cruise it confused their computer and made it into me owing. I swore I would never use them again. Well idiot me went ahead and told myself it could not happen again so I bought some more. Yeah it happened again. No More gift certificates for me. I’ll just call and add the money myself if I want to do that.

I know Royal can get a bad rap about service and all but those two issues I have had have been handled great and I have no complaints, other than the idiotic system that can’t figure out how it wants to handle gift certificates for me.

Edited by dwayneb236

Good that it worked out and you didn't arrive at the cruise terminal and were told you had an outstanding balance.

This is not the first time people have reported issues with the gift certificates.  Better just to call RC directly to add OBC.