Pre-dinner canapés / hors d'oeuves?

SandG

6 hours ago, SandG said:

Thanks for the suggestion of room service, I never thought of that.  Otherwise, I'll check out the buffet and hope for the best.

Why not pack a small Tupperware container and then sometime in the afternoon visit the buffet and fill it with cheese, grapes, olives, carrot....Add a few crackers and you have your early evening snack. Whilst the room fridges aren’t really cold, they will be ok for your snack for a few hours.

We usually book RS and have the offer of canapés but have generally found them a bit yucky, much prefer a few olives and/or a small selection of fruit or raw veg. 

Remember a Tupperware container will not take any real packing space as you can put possible leak risk items in it.

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

Why not pack a small Tupperware container and then sometime in the afternoon visit the buffet and fill it with cheese, grapes, olives, carrot....Add a few crackers and you have your early evening snack. Whilst the room fridges aren’t really cold, they will be ok for your snack for a few hours.

We've considered doing that. We usually order a cheese plate from room service in the evening but the crackers are sometimes stale and it doesn't always have a good assortment of cheeses.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:01 PM, SandG said:

A couple of times we have sailed in Concierge class and enjoyed the delivery of canapés, especially when we eat late.  We will be sailing on the Edge in March in a "regular" Infinite veranda as Elite for the first time.  I had at one time hoped we'd finally be able to enjoy some fancy snacks at the Elite lounge, but it seems more likely that we'll get our card preloaded with drinks (which doesn't excite us much since we already have a drink package, but you've heard this complaint already).  

We would be happy enough to get a plate of some little delights from the buffet perhaps and bring them to our cabin.  I suppose that crackers and something like hummus or tapenade dip or cheese would be okay, though not as fancy.  What possibilities?  I know we can get little desserts from the coffee shop but looking for an hors d'oeuve or appetizer.

Sue

At around 3:30 pm, they set up "afternoon tea" in the buffet. In addition to scones and sweet pastries, they will make small savory pinwheels and other pastries, a quiche, etc. They also have small sandwiches, cheese, cold cuts, and crackers, often accompanied by nuts, fruit, and cheese jams. You could make quite a nice appetizer plate from this. 

Just note that this part of the buffet closes at 5 while they set up for dinner (which opens 6). That hour in between is pretty slim pickings: pizza, ice cream, maybe some fruit and desserts. 

In place of the standard afternoon snacks, I ask for the same daily delivery-- a dozen  shrimp (plus, on a couple trips, a plate of hummus with crackers and veggies)--to be delivered between 5 and 530. It's not been a problem in either suite or aqua class this year on Summit, Equinox & Reflection.

For me, those beat the passed nibbles @ elite cocktail hour.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:55 AM, chemmo said:

Why not pack a small Tupperware container and then sometime in the afternoon visit the buffet and fill it with cheese, grapes, olives, carrot....Add a few crackers and you have your early evening snack. Whilst the room fridges aren’t really cold, they will be ok for your snack for a few hours.   <...>

That's a good idea.  Thanks.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:36 PM, digital_curator said:

At around 3:30 pm, they set up "afternoon tea" in the buffet. In addition to scones and sweet pastries, they will make small savory pinwheels and other pastries, a quiche, etc. They also have small sandwiches, cheese, cold cuts, and crackers, often accompanied by nuts, fruit, and cheese jams. You could make quite a nice appetizer plate from this. 

Just note that this part of the buffet closes at 5 while they set up for dinner (which opens 6). That hour in between is pretty slim pickings: pizza, ice cream, maybe some fruit and desserts. 

The afternoon tea foods you describe are exactly what we'd be looking for.

Yes, we've unfortunately hit that closed-buffet-at-5 problem - it's usually right after we've gotten back on the ship, and before we sail away.  We've often skipped or had a light lunch and ready for a snack because dinner is late, exactly the point of my question.  We'll have to watch the hours carefully next time and make sure we get in before that.

5 minutes ago, SandG said:

The afternoon tea foods you describe are exactly what we'd be looking for.

Yes, we've unfortunately hit that closed-buffet-at-5 problem - it's usually right after we've gotten back on the ship, and before we sail away.  We've often skipped or had a light lunch and ready for a snack because dinner is late, exactly the point of my question.  We'll have to watch the hours carefully next time and make sure we get in before that.

We often go to afternoon trivia, which ends at 4/4:30. If it runs late, our team makes a mad dash to the bow to grab some scones and other nibbles before heading up to the Sunset Bar for a pre-dinner cocktail. I finally trained the "scone guy" to remove those last so that I could grab a couple. :classic_biggrin:

The delivered canapés are “JUST OKAY”  for us.

It’s frustrating when they are setting up for dinner and everything is roped off, we’d like a little plate of cheese and crackers on the balcony but right before dinner that’s not an option. So, either get some earlier, or later I guess. Gone are the days of taking a plate of sushi out on the balcony!

A554B451-5125-44E1-8A3B-444D175A68D5.jpeg

We've tried the canapes on a couple of trips when we had a CC balcony.  They were pretty bad; certainly not to our taste.  We eventually just told the steward we no longer wanted them.

I do like the afternoon tea in the buffet, just wish it lasted a little longer.  We like to eat late, so a snack after coming back to the ship is nice.