2 questions from a new cruiser...

MrmrsSteelman

Not really necessary to bother with plastic tags for the NCL luggage tag. Don't put it on before you fly...just put it on the morning you embark. You can staple it around the handle or use shipping tape. It's only needed to get your bags to your cabin on embarkation day. If you loose the tags the porters at the pier can tag your bags based on your cruise docs. 

Phone calls: Each ship has a specific telephone number. It will be listed in your cruise docs. You can give that number, along with your cabin number, to your family as an emergency number. Calls to the number will be routed to your cabin phone, and go to voice mail on that phone if you do not answer.

We are first time cruisers as well and we bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PMYX7H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

they fit the NCL luggage tags and they seem very durable. I got them just for the extra protection and it will be easier to just put it on my luggage and I will be able to reuse it in the future.