Difference between the Premium Plus Beverage Package and the UBP

doomriders

Hey CC,

I am sailing the Norwegian Sun on April 6th to Cuba. We were selecting the free at sea deals and I got this premium plus beverage package. From what I read there is no $15 dollar restriction on drink cost. Basically nothing is off-limits. Has anyone else had this package? Did you go wild with it? Or is it a rip off and I should change my 3rd benefit choice as part of the Free at Sea promo.

Because it would be sweet to try all the high end scotch, bourbons, wines and champagnes with impunity.

This is a new package for Sun and Sky sailings starting early 2019. No one will have had it yet. It depends if you order a lot of premium spirits, fresh squeezed juices, specialty coffee at dinner etc. You will be responsible for the gratuities as noted on that page "Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Premium Plus Beverage Package ($5.80 USD per person per day"

Only you can decide if this is worth it. If you are ordering two or more premium spirits a day, this package might be worth it.

48 minutes ago, bww11 said:

This is a new package for Sun and Sky sailings starting early 2019. No one will have had it yet. It depends if you order a lot of premium spirits, fresh squeezed juices, specialty coffee at dinner etc. You will be responsible for the gratuities as noted on that page "Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Premium Plus Beverage Package ($5.80 USD per person per day"

Only you can decide if this is worth it. If you are ordering two or more premium spirits a day, this package might be worth it.

Hey Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a shot and see if it rocks. We shall see how top shelf it goes, see if it gets cut off and if it's worth it. Others will report back on it before me I imagine, but if they don't I will be the liver we need.

• Haha 1

The open bar on these two ships is a bit more restrictive than the UBP on the other ships.  There are weird things like a Sam Adams beer is included in the open bar, but a Sam Adams Seasonal will cost you $6.  This eliminates that upcharge for the better beers, wines, alcohols... I'm sure there are still restrictions, though.  You're not getting Dom Perignon for $5/day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also looking at this and I'm very baffled: an online TA is offering an upgrade to Premium Plus beverage package on a 3day Sky cruise to Bahamas. An upgrade should mean that there's a worse package available right? But here in terms and conditions it says that the UBP is not available for Sky: https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/termsandconditions/promotions

Also this Premium plus only costs 29$/day (so 5,80$ in real money) so the price is far from the most expensive packages NCL is offering on other cruises. It must be clear that no top shelf stuff in included right? But are cocktails included at all? Seems at least that bottled beer is not included at all: https://www.ncl.com/fr/en/terms/premium-plus-beverage-package

kpjb, where did you find out that Sam Adams is included?

Looking at menus over the years.  Things may have changed, so don't quote me on specifics, but the general idea is correct.

There is no UBP for these 2 ships because they are "open bar" ships.  This is why the package works differently than the standard UBP on a ship that charges for alcohol, and why "plus" is the base option for purchasing.

Yes - 

But with regular open bar it's well liquors and with the premium you can get higher shelf liquors. The regular open bar will include some bottle beers but not some that are normally sold at a higher price tag. 

Open Bar includes any drink you could normally buy for <$9 while the premium should include up to $15.

Taking Johnny Walker scotch for an example -

the RED label would be a 'well' drink -

the BLACK label would be top tier Premium -

and the BLUE label don't even go there with any package --- ***

*** I must be dreaming J W BLUE being available for any level of a package for general consumption !

I am sure that there are other multi-tier-labeled liquors that could illustrate this maybe better but J W just came to mind.  

• 1 month later...

Hopefully before you sail off with this Premium package there will have been some guineau pig CC

comments about this.

But with an OPEN BAR on these two ships you probably won't go wrong - but don't expect the

TOP SHELF stuff - NCL is not exactly giving this stuff away for FREE - you pays for whats you gets !

Beware though when you see the maintenance deck hand using XO Reserve bourbon to shellac the hand rails

you are in for interesting taste test. Also beware of the strange fererign name Vodka being used as window wash.

Each liquor has is own unique properties - we are are awaiting the tasteful results.

13 hours ago, toasttwo said:

Has anyone used the new package yet? I'm having trouble finding information about the specifics compared to the normal open bar and I'm curious if it's worth the extra gratuity. Thanks!

Also do both guest in the cabin have to get the upgrade package if only one drinks liguor and the other is a beer drinker?

• 1 month later...

I haven’t sailed yet, but Open Bar on Sky and Sun includes all drinks costing $15 and under. Many are premixed to cut down on wait times.

Premium Plus includes all liquor and wine by the glass, as well as beer, regardless of cost. It also includes bottled water, fresh juice and specialty coffee in restaurants.

I opted to go for Premium as one of my perks because the wine I like is $17:49 per glass on the ship. I can also ask for a better brand of liquor in a mixed drink and have it made fresh.

• 1 month later...

I just sailed on the Sun with the Premium Plus beverage package. No restrictions on ultra premium drinks except for at the Windjammer lounge we had to pay a .62 tax on Woodford Reserve, but not other drinks. We didn’t order that in other bars. Not all bars stock the good stuff. Whistle Pick, Ron Zacapa 23 and others were all included.  Without PP package they would be an up charge of $3-19 a drink depending on the liquor. 

They will not pour shots or neat drinks but you can request they just put one ice cube only. Select bottles of wine are included. They will have a star on the menu. We drank bottles of Louis Jadot which is listed at $75 per bottle (without the PP package). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1