Would HooToo router work on Carnival cruise?

masaike

hello all, new to the forum. I did some search within the forum but seems that most HooToo wireless router posts are for other cruise lines.

Anyone knows if HooToo could be used successfully for sharing the internet on Carnival ships? Thank you.

Is laptop a must for HooToo router to work?

6 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

It is a router that is run with an ethernet connection.  There is no ethernet connection available on Carnival.

Thank you. I was not clear in my post. I was referring to the HooToo wireless router that could spread one wifi access to multiple devices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=36F91GYA6YRNMGJHV88F#customerReviews

I don't doubt that you could use it; however, the speed of Carnival's wifi is fairly slow (even at the highest tier).  You can successfully use one internet package for multiple devices, but just for one device at a time, without the router.

I'm just not certain that you would have any gains by using it.  

How many devices would be on it?  How far from the hotspot would those devices be?  I can't imagine that the range for the router would be large, given the construction of the ships.

Perhaps someone who has tried it can chime in here.

I haven't seen anything that says you can't use the HooToo to bridge the connection. I am wondering how far do you think the connections will go from there you will be pretty much confined to your room or maybe one next to it. As there is so much metal it would really cause havoc on the signal. 

I dont think it will considering you have to log in through a web page to get access and they filter by mac address.

Never used the type you are speaking of but all the ones I have used before can connect and share a wifi connection that just has a regular password login, not a webpage login.

I have that router and have successfully bridged the connection.  I had downloaded the HooToo pdf - it took a while but I was able to figure it out.   I'm one of the setting in the Ap is the user name and pass.    That is your sail and sign/folio # and password.    Once you set that I restarted the router and voila. 

It it is really slow & I had the fastest package. Granted I was trying to upload full size pics as others were surfing too.

dont forget the power plug for it.  The first time I took it on a trip I forgot that it did not have a battery.

unplug/disconnect it when you leave your cabin....

likei said, it IS possible. But use the Ap.     Practice setting it up commecting to your home wifi.    When you see the hootoo wifi network that you created connect to that.  

In hotels it is MUCH faster when using the Ethernet.    But bridging is great for "sharing" the wifi.   And this HooToo can save the name and password so makes re-connection much easier

5 minutes ago, bound4dbeach said:

I have that router and have successfully bridged the connection.  I had downloaded the HooToo pdf - it took a while but I was able to figure it out.   I'm one of the setting in the Ap is the user name and pass.    That is your sail and sign/folio # and password.    Once you set that I restarted the router and voila. 

It it is really slow & I had the fastest package. Granted I was trying to upload full size pics as others were surfing too.

dont forget the power plug for it.  The first time I took it on a trip I forgot that it did not have a battery.

unplug/disconnect it when you leave your cabin....

likei said, it IS possible. But use the Ap.     Practice setting it up commecting to your home wifi.    When you see the hootoo wifi network that you created connect to that.  

In hotels it is MUCH faster when using the Ethernet.    But bridging is great for "sharing" the wifi.   And this HooToo can save the name and password so makes re-connection much easier

thank you so much

No problem.    I did this on the Pride twice.

like I said, download the PDF and save to your phone/laptop

practice logging into the HooToo Ap.  And make sure to make your HooToo wifi "locked".  Otherwise if someone got on your network, they would be on the internet too.      It works because the HooToo "appears" to the Carnival Wifi as a single device that is logged in.... and you are then just sharing it.

the speed WILL be slower- even if only 1 connection is made because it is "rebroadcasting" the original signal,,,, but I believe the Nano lets 10 devices connect.    When we used the laptop and something else, seemed like it really slowed down... it's something to do with the laptop.   Just my experience

1 minute ago, bound4dbeach said:

No problem.    I did this on the Pride twice.

like I said, download the PDF and save to your phone/laptop

practice logging into the HooToo Ap.  And make sure to make your HooToo wifi "locked".  Otherwise if someone got on your network, they would be on the internet too.      It works because the HooToo "appears" to the Carnival Wifi as a single device that is logged in.... and you are then just sharing it.

the speed WILL be slower- even if only 1 connection is made because it is "rebroadcasting" the original signal,,,, but I believe the Nano lets 10 devices connect.    When we used the laptop and something else, seemed like it really slowed down... it's something to do with the laptop.   Just my experience

yes I will for sure set it up at home first

• 1 year later...