Magdalena Island tour companies

Crocodile89

I will be on the Royal Princess this Feb and would like to take a tour to Magdalena Island from PuntoArenas as the tour offered on the ship is booked.  Can anyone recommend a tour company for this tour.  We are there from 8am to 8pm.  

Also, any recommendations for tours out of Ushuaia?  Thanks so much. 

If I recall when we were there, there is only one operator going over to Magdalena.  So - if they are full, they are full.  This was a three years ago though, so things may have changed.   (And to that point - the wind was so bad the boat was canceled anyway).

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess the conditions can be bad there.  We are waitlisted for the Princess tour but ended up finding a tour through Viator that goes to Magdalena Island.  Fingers crossed the weather is on our side and Viator is reliable.  I never booked with them.  The tour states it is on a powerboat so don’t know how comfortable that will be.  It was very difficult finding a tour.  

Any thoughts for Ushuaia or Puerto Chabucco, if you went there?

We coincidentally had friends that were getting off an Antarctic cruise the same day we were docked, so we met up with them for some food and strolling around Ushuaia.  in Puerto Chacabuco, we took a tour to Coyhaique that had some scenic stops.  Very low key.  We were cruising with our then 4 year old, so everything was pretty low key..  

Here are a couple of time lapse videos I did, one as we departed from Ushuaia.  Very boring - ship ended up leaving about 2 hours late so the first 4 minutes of the video is a whole lot of nothing.

Ushuaia Departure

The second one is my favourite time lapse from that trip - sailing through the Beagle Channel in a furious wind storm, then rain, then sun, then rain.  We were in a suite right in the bow so had wonderful vistas the whole trip:

Beagle Channel

Edited by OzCanuck

Looks like we have to be prepared for all kinds of weather- sun, wind

and rain.  The journey through Beagle Island looks beautiful and the water appears smooth.  Was it?  Ushuaia’s landscape looks interesting too.  What a great vantage point your had!   Thanks for sharing the videos.

What month was this and what was the temp?  Since we are leaving from the Northeast in Feb we will be prepared for colder weather.  It seems that the visit to Coyhaique  is the thing to do in Puerto Chacabuco.  Will look for a tour there.   

Your comments and videos have been very helpful.  Thank you.  

Well we were sailing into a 40-50 knot wind.  The channel was relatively calm though (unlike our crossing from the Falklands back to Ushuaia - which was a gut wrenching up and down marathon for a day).  This was the 2nd week of January.  Coldest day was in the Falklands, but even that I just wore a t-shirt, light sweater and a windbreaker.  Layers were fine.  I think it was +8 celcius - it was just the wind that was annoying.  

Just checked with our other friends that cruised with us on this trip.   In Chacabuco they did the Deer Island nature walk - Princess has it as well.  Sadly they saw no deer - nor any other wildlife for that matter.  So it was just a walk in the trees.  Coyhaique doesn't really have a lot to offer except the drive there and back which is quite picturesque.  We wandered around, found a bakery and had a snack.  Again with a child the perspective is different.  However memories like these are priceless.

IMG_6962.JPG

What an adoarable photo.  You and your family must have enjoyed the trip.  Thanks for all your invaluable information.  Will consider the Princess tours for the Chilean stops.  

In the past, i didn’t have the need for a seasickness patch but I think for this cruise I am going to get one.  Seems like there are several times it will come in handy.  

On 12/12/2018 at 10:17 AM, Crocodile89 said:

Looks like we have to be prepared for all kinds of weather- sun, wind

and rain.  The journey through Beagle Island looks beautiful and the water appears smooth.  Was it?  Ushuaia’s landscape looks interesting too.  What a great vantage point your had!   Thanks for sharing the videos.

What month was this and what was the temp?  Since we are leaving from the Northeast in Feb we will be prepared for colder weather.  It seems that the visit to Coyhaique  is the thing to do in Puerto Chacabuco.  Will look for a tour there.   

Your comments and videos have been very helpful.  Thank you.  

Yes  you certainly have to be well prepared for all weather.   I've taken the ferry to Magdalena Island.    I've never taken  any "tour"  of Coyhaique,   it is simple to get there for maybe $10.   I've enjoyed several sites there,  with the benefit of going on my own and not wasting time with a group.