Miami Hotel

craftymom914

We are sailing on March 2, arriving the day before.  7 years ago when we last sailed from MIA we stayed at Marriott Biscayne Bay.  I have a ton of Marriott points so I'd like to use those (as opposed to booking at The Hampton in Brickell.   My recollection was there was very little near the Marriott although we walked to Bayside Mall.  Dinner in the area was quite a walk away. Anyone know the area and know if that has changed? Is is safe to take the metro mover to Brickell neighborhood for some window shopping and dinner and uber back?  Thanks for your advice.

I just stayed at the Holiday Inn and walked to the EPIC one evening. The area there is "quiet" at night but there were several upscale restaurants - the Terrace at Zuma caught my eye with splendid views. I'd say 3 or 4 surrounding the Marriott. Are you looking for these kind of experiences or more casual dining?

I rode the metromover after dark 2 or 3 times and there were some characters off and on the mover but minding their own business. If you are alone in the mover at 10pm and it stops you do wonder a bit though! Those here who live there will know better than I do.

If I was with a female I probably would just Uber around once I leave the Miami River near the Marriott to go elsewhere - but walking to Bayside seemed fine to me even late'ish at night. 

Edited by SteerageJoe

The restaurant/bar in the lobby of the next door Doubletree is not a bad option.  Unfortunately Bin 18 (Biscayne and 18th), with great tapas and an extensive wine/beer list, was closed during my last visit. :classic_sad:  There are other options nearby, or for $10 or so you can Uber/Lyft to lots more options.

3 hours ago, SteerageJoe said:

I just stayed at the Holiday Inn and walked to the EPIC one evening. The area there is "quiet" at night but there were several upscale restaurants - the Terrace at Zuma caught my eye with splendid views. I'd say 3 or 4 surrounding the Marriott. Are you looking for these kind of experiences or more casual dining?

I rode the metromover after dark 2 or 3 times and there were some characters off and on the mover but minding their own business. If you are alone in the mover at 10pm and it stops you do wonder a bit though! Those here who live there will know better than I do.

If I was with a female I probably would just Uber around once I leave the Miami River near the Marriott to go elsewhere - but walking to Bayside seemed fine to me even late'ish at night. 

Sorry I was describing the Downtown Marriott or Courtyard area thinking you may want to stay closer to Bayside! Have you looked at the Marriott in Brickell? Great location.

21 minutes ago, BlueHerons said:

The Brickell/downtown area has changed a lot in the past seven years.

There are a bunch of Marriott properties in the area.  The Mod for this board, CJSKids lives in the area and can give you exact advice.

Brickell has changed a lot in the last month as you know!  LOL  

I was just over by the Marriott a couple of weeks ago to go to Mike's at Venetia Irish Pub.  We took the metro mover from Brickell over and took Uber back. The metro mover station there sure does have more interesting characters hanging around on a Saturday evening vs. weekdays, that's for sure. There is still not much over in that area, it hasn't changed all that much.  Though Verde at the Perez Art Museum close by is incredible for dining and the view is fantastic. 

You will have no issues taking the metro mover to the Brickell area and ubering back to your hotel afterwards. 

Since you have a ton of points, why not try the Marriott Marquis or the JW Marriott.  Great hotels and right in the Brickell area with lots near by.  Courtyard by Marriott needs a reno according to a friend who stayed recently for work. 

Yea, that specific area has not changed a ton, but it is so easy to get to Brickell. The mover is fine so long as you don't mind some "interesting" people here and there. Or just take an Uber ride. Downtown is very safe, even at night. The only issue is the homeless population. Just stay east of 1st ave, and enjoy anywhere in Brickell. Tons of options for dinning.