Looking at Oceania for the first time

Straughn

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, Straughn said:

Based on some very positive comments from a friend who sails on Oceania, I am considering trying it. I am looking specifically at the Riveria with a Caribbean itinerary. I am a long time Celebrity loyalist who really wants a change.   I have some questions. 

Most likely will travel solo. Demographic is retired female.

1. Looking at Concierge veranda. I normally book a Sky Suite on Celebrity, but the veranda cabin seems to have plenty of space. I note on the website deck plans that some cabins are marked with a star, indicating “special features.” What are those features? Recommended cabin locations  or ones to avoid? 

2. As a solo, will I have any difficulties getting a table for one? If I meet folks on the ship, and we decide to dine together, that is terrific. What I don’t want is to be randomly assigned to a table with passengers who may, or, may not, want me there. (I have had some really bad experiences with this.)

3. Does Oceania have any solo get togethers?

4. Any advice, guidance, warnings, useful info you may care to share would be most welcome. It has been years since I have sailed on a “new to me” cruise line.

Thanks.

1) Special features are usually a sofa bed. Wheel chair assessable, etc.

2) Always worth a try. Might be harder to do in the specialty rest. If you have to share a table in those rest. ask for a larger table We are a gay couple & had an "unsympathetic" couple in Polo. Made for a not too pleasant experience. Shared a large table in Jacques & had a blast! In the Grand dining room to get a small table, it's best to arrive really quite early. We found that from 7:00 on wards, you may have a pretty long wait.

3) Probably best to organize these like a meet & greet. Check the "roll calls" for your cruise & ask questions, pax are very willing to offer great advice.

4)The entertainment is pretty laid back..Great string Quartet in dining venues, but night time entertainment has a small budget. The food IS the entertainment we found. You'll find the overall crowds to be pretty laid back. We found the Riviera to be more about rest & relaxation. The lectures & speakers they have on board are very informative we found. Overall have fun!

• Like 1

From our experience (not in participating in solo get-togethers, just in reading Currents) Oceania DOES organize solo get-togethers.  Not necessarily every night.  Perhaps it depends on the numbers of solo travelers as well.  While it could be arranged via the roll call I'm guessing it wouldn't necessarily be get-togethers specifically for solo travelers -- more as a chance for people who "meet" on the roll call decide to met privately.  Which is pretty much a meet and greet, I guess.  But some Meet & Greets get very large -- I've arranged several that were ever 100 people.  Others were 25-30 people.  It depends on your roll call.

DH and I have fairly frequently been assigned to a table for two when we really wanted to share in the GDR.  It's more a question of how many people are waiting for a table, or in our case, people who want to share who are there when we are.  We tend to eat later and frankly, we found it easier to get a small table just for us when we didn't want one!  But we never EVER had the experience of asking for a table for two and having to join a larger group.  I suppose that could be because we rarely ask for a table for two!  No, I'll take that back... on the last couple of cruises DH was bothered with his increased hearing loss and felt it easier not to be dining with strangers.  Even so, on one occasion we entered with a single woman and invited her to join us, which she did.

Mura

• Like 1