Insurance

figgarro

Booking cruise for a family cruise.  For the insurance not going through carnival usually use insure my trip or travel guard.  Question is do i figure it by individual family unit (3 separate policies) or do everyone together on one policy?

1 hour ago, figgarro said:

Booking cruise for a family cruise.  For the insurance not going through carnival usually use insure my trip or travel guard.  Question is do i figure it by individual family unit (3 separate policies) or do everyone together on one policy?

All together on one policy may be to your benefit if the insurance company offers kids 17 and under for free.

However, the 1 policy option can only work if all on the policy are from the same state.

We purchased a policy from insuremytrip… for 5 of us (hubby, me, daughter, son-in-law and grandson) it was one policy, even though we have 2 cabins. When I spoke to them they said that the cost of the policy is still dependent on the number and age of people covered in the policy, and since I made the bookings and they were linked, it could be covered by one policy. He told me that I could have gotten 2 policies for about the same price (hubby and me on one, daughter and her family on a second one) but it would have been a bit more expensive... he said about $50 difference based on the policy we chose, so we just went with one.

(btw, we are all located in the same state)...

Edited by Shaded Lady

29 minutes ago, Valor2005 said:

We have a friend in our cabin with us.  She had to buy her own policy because we're not at the same address.  This was through TravelGuard.

Travelguard did tell me that their policy is based on address, so separate policies would work the best.  

I'd ask a travel insurance broker about this, someone like

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

They offer policies with a variety of insurers, so the costs may differ in terms of how the children are handled (not sure about that, but ask).

We've let them help us, in the beginning, with which insurer/specific type of policy worked best for our needs.

After that, we've continued with the same company (Travel Insured) and same policy type.  It covered what we needed, and they've paid claims promptly, including two large ones.  No hassles, and that's what matters...  paying the claims.

Don't just read the online summaries.  The fine print really can make a difference.

That's why they have service reps, who are really truly helpful.

(But make sure that you understand the coverage.  Most complaints seem to involve a problem that wouldn't ever have been covered, so no surprise that it... wasn't.)

GC