Paying onboard spending with Disney gift cards

mkkao924

I remember seeing that you can pay the onboard spending with gift cards. Do you know if this can be done online before the cruise, or I have to bring the gift cards with me when boarding?

If I put more than what we use eventually, how does that work?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, mkkao924 said:

I remember seeing that you can pay the onboard spending with gift cards. Do you know if this can be done online before the cruise, or I have to bring the gift cards with me when boarding?

If I put more than what we use eventually, how does that work?

Thanks!

You can call DCL and have gift cards applied to your reservation.  It will show up as onboard credit on your bill.

Or you can wait until you are onboard the ship and put the gift cards on your account at Guest Services.

If there is any credit left at the end of the cruise, it will be credited back to the gift cards in the reverse order you put them on the account.  So you should take the cards along with you, even if you put them on your account beforehand.

One addition to what Shmoo said--it is possible to get your money refunded if you don't have the gift cards, but it is a huge amount of hassle and you won't get the money on a new card till you are home.  It is much easier to take the cards with you so the refund can be applied to the card(s) at Guest Services.

Just adding in my experience. I put the gift cards on my account when I board. I keep the cards. You can simplify by combining your gift cards at the disney gift card check balance website beforehand. If I haven't spent everything, I have the option of going to guest services on the final night to get a refund, or just waiting several days for them to credit my gift cards back.

It can take several days, I feel like it was 3 or 5 days maybe before my gift cards had a balance again. It's my understanding that I could have had the value back immediately if I went to guest services on the final night.