Uber/Lyft from Miami Cruise Port

PCWalton1

Hi

We will be departing Symphony of the Seas on January 26 and heading to a hotel in Ft Lauderdale. From what I read Uber/Lyft are the best way to do that. Can those drivers go to the cruise terminal or will we have to meet them? Sorry if this is a dumb question but never been to Miami before.

Thanks

I used to think the rideshare pickup system at the cruise ports are a bit chaotic UNTIL I called for Uber at Disney Hollywood Studios at park closure time IN THE DARK!!

Talk about chaos - 10,000 people, children crying, parents yelling "are you an Uber" at every car driving by and it is too dark for the drivers to see the passengers clearly and so on!

Trust me folks, the Ports are a breeze.

At PortMiami it kinda depends on the terminal and where vehicles are being directed to by the port staff. At Terminal A there are ZONES and those have numbers. Generally Zones 1 - 5 (to the left as you exit) are Dropoff and 5 - 10 (to the right) are Pickup. So you pick a zone area and tell your driver where you are standing, what you look like, etc.

At other terminals you generally go to the right but and find a place that is easy for the driver to spot. I do not think the drivers can easily see any numbers but it depends on their experience I guess.

The other tricky thing? There are two lanes at terminals B onwards. Cars are sometimes directed to the outside lane and to the inside lane at other times! Taxis and buses also have their lanes!  So it is best to ask an attendant which lane your Rideshare will be directed to upon arrival.

Communication with your driver is key! 

Edited by SteerageJoe

As promised, a few pics of the Pick Up area at the new Terminal A at PortMiami.

The PICK UP area is to your right as you exit the terminal. On the left in the photo below where the taxi is.

PortMiami-Terminal-A-1.jpg

The DROP ME and PICK ME UP areas are clearly marked. They use zones. Zones 1-5 is "designated" Drop Zones and 6-10 are PICK UP zones

PortMiami-Terminal-A-3.jpg

It is probably best to walk right and pick a zone from 7 - 10 to stand and wait for your ride. Note the zone numbers on the columns to the right in this photo. Then communicate your zone to your driver, what you are wearing, etc. 

PortMiami-Terminal-A-2.jpg

Edited by SteerageJoe
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hannibal54 said:

When I cruise out of POM I use SAS. This is a shared shuttle that will pick you up and either take you to FLL or to a hotel that they service. The price is $15.00 per person, ridesas.com

Unfortunately SAS does not go near our hotel. So we would have to ride them to FLL then taxi/Uber from FLL to the hotel. Too much hassle with all our luggage to possibly save a few bucks. 

15 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Forgot to ask anyone familiar with using Uber with luggage in Miami. What size Uber to use for two adults with two 50 lb suitcases? 

Thanks

Two passengers and bags should fit into an UberX - typical cars I get are a Toyota Camry or Prius or something similar sized (I've had everything from a king cab pick-up to a Honda Fit).  The car make, license and driver info will be displayed when your ride request is accepted - call the driver if you are worried about fitting everything into his car.

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

Two passengers and bags should fit into an UberX - typical cars I get are a Toyota Camry or Prius or something similar sized (I've had everything from a king cab pick-up to a Honda Fit).  The car make, license and driver info will be displayed when your ride request is accepted - call the driver if you are worried about fitting everything into his car.

These are what we normally bring. We don't pack light, 😄

20181127_182849.jpg

1 hour ago, Acrusa said:

Arriving into POM February 17 Oceania.

Any private  limo service recommendations? Not thrilled with Uber.

Larry's Limos is often suggested for private service in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.  We've used them and were happy.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SammieMC00 said:

Anyone familiar with what the cost would be for a Uber from Ft lauderdale airport to port of Miami and vice versa? Trying to budget a trip and weigh out my options 

UberX or standard Lyft between FLL and POM should be about $35+ each way.