Dancing partners

bonbon663

True... on our last Century cruise 10-29-05 I had the pleasure of having several conversations with one of the dance hosts. I asked him about the position and he told me alot about it. He had been on 139 cruises and he had about two more on the Century and then he was finished with being a dance host. He told me he had really enjoyed doing it through the years, but it had changed quite a bit since he began. He told me that Celebrity, HAL Crystal, Radison were still providing hosts. The hosts actually work for a private company that subs out the dance hosts. The cruise lines in the past hired hosts but not any more. He gave me details on what perks they received etc. If you are interested I can give you more details on what he told me.

On my Merc cruise, there was a very nice older man who taught me how to fox trot one night before dinner. He was a dance host and loved it.

I met a guy that in the disco, who loved to ball room dance, He was a widower of about 5 years. He got the disco band to play a tango, and taught me to tango. I asked if he was a dance host, and he said no, so I told him he should be because he could cruise for free and just pick up his onboard expenses. As it turned out he is the brother of the Catholic priest, so he already get to cruise for free.

Anyway, I looked up the required ments for a dance host, because I have a friend that I thought might meet the requirements. I think the age is like 40-75, you must be single, and you must be certified in something like 5 of the 8 basic ballroom dances. (Don't hold me to that number).

They work for a subcontractor basically for free cruise, but are responsible for thier onboard expenses.(Drinks, extras?? tips) They are assigned a regular passenger cabin (Stand inside???)

If you and Mom want to dance, be sure to aske the cruise director or activities staff to introduce you to the dance hosts. It is a really great opportunity to enjoy dancing with-out any hanky panky attatched to it.

The "quality" of dancing hosts is very subjective. On Summit in November one of the hosts was a very nice guy but he only knew one series of steps and he used it for every dance.. If he got up all the other dancers knew to keep their distance... Even th CD could not understand how he got hired. The ones on Constellation in September and Century in May were very weak dancers.

I went to the dance lessons on board... (practice, practice, practice) and the "hosts" were only marginally better than the students.

I wish you luck on your sailing. There are some good ones out there.

Archived