Century Photos (11/26/05 Cruise)

Cracker Ken

Thanks much. No, I don't do photography for a living (I wish!). I've been into photography since I was a kid, and especially since I got my first SLR in '79. I've done a lot of reading, been to a couple of Nikon School classes, experience, and I read the instruction booklet for my camera ;) .

The majority (99%) of the pics in this album, and on my photo pages on the Internet, were made by a Nikon Coolpix 4500, 4 mega-pixel camera that my DW bought for me back in late 2002. It's one of the heavier, sort of "advanced" Nikon digital cameras. It has a threaded lens that accepts filters, and I routinely use a circular polarizing filter for outside shots during the day. That filter is worth it's weight in gold.

For processing, I use ArcSoft Photo Impressions software, along with the Nikon View software that came with the camera. Photo Impressions is a relatively simple program to learn. There are better programs, but it works fine for me (and it was free with the camera). Digital pics tend to come out somewhat darker than what you see on the view finder (that problem is getting lots better on the newer cameras), so adjusting shadows, mid-tones and highlights is a must. Some digital pics that initially look like throw-aways turn out quite nice when adjusted. Just a little bit of color saturation adjustment helps sometimes too.

Some of the pics on this album (and the Carnival Liberty album on my Yahoo photo page) were made with a Nikon N-70 35mm SLR, using a Tamron 28-200 aspherical zoom lens, and external flash unit. The pics of the "Island Night" buffet, and a few landscape pics were made with the N-70. The waterfall at the Diamond Botanical Gardens, and the picture of the Serenade of the Seas that looks quite different than the rest, were from the N-70. Most of the inside pictures I took on Carnival Liberty are from the N-70 film camera. The Nikon Coolpix 4500 doesn't have enough flash power for decent inside shots around the ship, so I use the N-70 with external flash. Instead of having my 35mm film printed, I just have the negatives processed and scanned to a CD-R.

Thanks again,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Great to see your latest post and the pics. Sure hope we meet up someday, bud, on a Celebrity vessel. Wish you and Sonya were going with our big group on the upcoming TA on Constellation.

Best wishes to you both for 2006!!

Happy Sailings!!

Cal

:) Thank you for the pics. Some places we have been and some not (but want to). In any case, your photos have captured the flavour of the Caribbean cruise perfectly, and make me want to run right out and sign up for another one!

Thanks to everyone. Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Cal - Good to hear from you. Maybe we'll meet up someday. Eventually we are bound to be in Seattle, and when we do, I'll send you an e-mail. I heard that you folks are gathering up wood to build some arcs? You are approaching 40 days and 40 nights of rain.

Danno - Glad I could help. Nice cruise and itinerary. Other than an awful mattress (well overdue to be thrown away), everything was fine. Great food (beef was excellent), and excellent service everywhere. There are some beautiful places on that cruise.

Later,

Ken

Ken...I have a Nikon Coolpix 5400 as well as a 25 year old Nikon FE...I always used a polarizing filter on the FE, I don't know why it never occured to me to get one for the 5400...I'll have one before we leave :D !!

As far as the mattresses...they were lousy when the ship was a year old.

Archived