How about a good RCCL story

chorder

Got a story to praise RCCL 2 years ago we booked the Grandeur out of New Orleans(nope the can recoup down there what a great place to visit)the cruise was to disembark at 2:30 am on monday morning according to the cruise lit.That way people could visit the city and use the ship for a hotel that night.So I figured we could save a hundred bucks on a hotel and book airfare for the same day as the cruise(pretty cheap huh)Well when the new cruise books came out in 04 (we booked in June of 03) we were looking at our cruise and not only had the itinerary changed, but the ship departure time also ,to the usual 5:00 pm time.Well after speaking to our TA and RCCL we decided that we better change our flight to arrive in NO the day before departure (which is what we should have done in the first place) it cost us 100.00 per ticket.Well so much for saving on a hotel.Well a few weeks before cruise time my wife was talking to an rccl rep.asking about a certain ship excursion happened to mention what had happened because of the changes that rccl had made .The rep was very nice and asked my wife what she thought rccl should do.Wife said well don't really expect you to do anything as we really did not(most everything was really our fault)but rccl ended up giving as a 100.00 per person shipboard credit to make up for the ticket transfer charge, I thought that was great considering they really did not have to to anything .I hear quite a bit of negative (not that there not legit gripes)just wanted to say something positive about RCCL'S customer service

While on Rhapsody during Thanksgiving 2004, we had problems with DD who has mild autism. The staff bent over backwards to help us make her trip easier on her by providing her favorite food (avocado) to her at EVERY meal! They also made sure she had her food as soon as she walked into the dining room. The room steward (Marva) made sure that DD had room service when she was unable to handle the dining room noise. The crew really made her feel welcome everywhere she went on the ship with us. She still talks about that cruise! We look forward to being on the Radiance with her and her brother in March. :)

In '95 my husband and I were sailing Legend of the Seas from Vancouver to Hawaii. The ship was brand new and after two or three days out my husband said the Captain is turning the ship around. It seems a young man in a sailboat was going to Hawaii out of San Diego. He had misjudged fuel and food supplies and as we approached him his mast was slamming into the ship and Legend crew threw him a box of food, but it missed and landed in the ocean. Next a crewman went down a ladder with food and fuel. This was no easy feat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The sailor insisted on staying onboard his sailboat. This was very exciting and harrowing at the same time.

When my husband & I sailed on the Explorer of the Seas a few years ago, we ended up not having any luggage when we sailed from Miami. Due to mechanical problems and weather problems, we didn't get to Miami and board the ship until right before sailing. The staff at the guest relations desk couldn't have been more helpful! They took all our information and kept in contact with our airline and once the luggage was found, arranged to have it flown to our 1st stop in San Juan and brought to the ship and delivered to the cabin! And we had not even bought the air through RCL, we had done it ourselves! They also gave us T-shirts to sleep in and toiletrie kits. Since the next night was formal night, they gave my husband a free tux rental. They also have a closet full of fancy skirt, tops, dresses and shoes for women to borrow. I found an acceptable skirt and top, but they had no shoes in my size. One of the employees who wore my size was kind enough to loan me a pair of her shoes! Later in the week, after we received our luggage, they also sent a bottle of wine to our cabin. I really felt they went above and beyond in helping us.

A note about insurance - we had purchased RCl's insurance just in case we had to cancel. We ended up being reimbursed by the insurance for the other t-shirts, socks and underwear we purchased onboard before our luggage arrived.

While on Rhapsody during Thanksgiving 2004, we had problems with DD who has mild autism. The staff bent over backwards to help us make her trip easier on her by providing her favorite food (avocado) to her at EVERY meal! They also made sure she had her food as soon as she walked into the dining room. The room steward (Marva) made sure that DD had room service when she was unable to handle the dining room noise. The crew really made her feel welcome everywhere she went on the ship with us. She still talks about that cruise! We look forward to being on the Radiance with her and her brother in March. :)

GREAT STORY!! :):):)

As the father of a son with Aspergers/Autism, this is reassuring for when we take him with us on a cruise. For now, he is really wanting to see Walt Disney World and a cruise does not interest him. Once we get WDW out of the way, then we can take on a cruise with him and his older brother. (He is just 8 and his brother is 10.)

As the father of a son with Aspergers/Autism, this is reassuring for when we take him with us on a cruise. For now, he is really wanted to see Walt Disney World and a cruise does not interest him. Once we get WDW out of the way, then we can take on a cruise with him and his older brother. (He is just 8 and his brother is 10.)

As the father of a son with Aspergers/Autism, this is reassuring for when we take him with us on a cruise. For now, he is really wanting to see Walt Disney World and a cruise does not interest him. Once we get WDW out of the way, then we can take on a cruise with him and his older brother. (He is just 8 and his brother is 10.)

I took my brother who is 50, and who has Aspergers/Autism(and something else?) on a cruise last month.

People with unusual mixes of problems are sometimes difficult to deal with, especially when they are 6'4", 300 lbs with a version of reality/history which they insist on sharing even though it doesn't usually coincide with everyone elses.

Everyone was very tolerant, understanding, and helpful and he had a GREAT time.

On our spring '03 AK cruise on Radiance of the Sea - we had a wonderful cruise. Our second to last night out, we were in somewhat more open waters off of Canada when a storm blew up. It was very rough. A HAL ship was just behind us as we left Ketchican.

We fell asleep in rough seas and high winds. About 5:00am I was awaken to major ship movement with accompanying loud noises of everything in the cabinets shifting. I rolled over and was nearly back asleep when there was a repeat!

When we went up to breakfast everyone was abuzz. A three-man vessal that served the fishing fleet (the fishing boats would off-load their catch to this boat allowing them to stay out longer) had sent out an SOS in the wee hours of the morning. Canadian Coast Guard radioed the distress call to the HAL and the Radiance. HAL was closer and manuvered to rescue and Radiance shifted course (hence the first shift and noises) for backup. A few minutes later, the CA coast guard realized that there had been a mistake and that Radiance was closer - Radiance shifted course again to be primary in the rescue.

As we later saw in dramatic footage from the bridge camera, the first mate and his crew set off in one of the rescue boats. As the rescue boat neared the sinking vessel, only the bridge of the sinking boat remained above the water. The crew of the vessel attempted to launch their life raft, only to have it blow away in the high winds. The rescue boat plucked each of the three-man crew out of the frigid (early June) waters and returned them to the Radiance where the ship's medical staff treated them for exposure and a few cuts. The head of hotel operations opened the ship's shop and the men were outfitted with RCCI - Radiance of the seas sweats and socks. Crew members donated shoes for the men.

The rescued crew, the first mate, the medical officer, and the captain led a discussion in the auditorium that afternoon - showing the footage and giving a first-hand account of how the rescue mission went. It was unbelievable!

The rescued crew was airlifted from the ship later that day and were reunited with their families (we saw footage on the Vancouver local news the next day).

I am an Instructional Aide in a self-contained Autistic class in public school! These kids are the loves of my life (along with my own children). It warms my heart to hear such wonderful stories! Bumps RCL up a notch (IMHO).:D

Keep the stories coming!!:)

A couple nice ones that come to mind:

My sister desperately needed some feminine supplies and though they are usually in the shops, they were out of them. Similarly, they are usually in Ladies' bathrooms around ship. No go. We had a day or two before we got to another port, and she was very uncomfortable. One of the female Pursers went back to her cabin and gave her some out of her personal stash. What a lifesaver!

We brought my son's best friend on a cruise when he was 14 - he uses a wheelchair and everyone bent over backwards to find him spots at the shows, etc. He loved the trip - spent practically all his time by himself, zipping around the ship - he said it was the most accessible environment he'd ever been in!

Not an RCI story, but on my Sept cruise, I dearly wanted some tropical flowers in Mo Bay. (Had seen them for sale for $10 there a couple years ago and regretted I hadn't bought any.) When we arrived at the pier, there was a huge display floral arrangement, but none for sale. Later that day, before we left, I asked and they said that because no ship was due that day, no one brought flowers. I offered to buy the display ones (which was gigantic - way bigger than the ones I'd seen before for $10) and would have cost upwards of $200 in the US for such an exotic arrangement. They insisted on GIVING them to me! I tried to pay $20 or even the regular price of $10 for them, and the shopkeepers were just like: "Hey mon, we want you to like Jamaica!"

I joined C & A society with my own account instead of going under DH's, then I booked and made final payment for my 2-6-06 Grandeur sailing. Well, wouldn't you know it, TODAY I get my welcome mag with a $25 off stateroom certificate. It had to be used by 1-31-06. The back said it had to be redeemed before final payment. Shucks, I thought, I gathered the courage to call RCI C & A and after verifying the order of dates that everything happened, marvelous Maria credited the $25 back off my credit card. They didn't have to do that and I didn't have to beg or talk to a supervisor. Thank you Royal Caribbean!!!!!

In 02 wife and I and 2 friends booked in july for an april 03 cruise,after we had paid in full for our cruise,wife was on RCCL'S website and found the price had gone down 225.00 per person.just for GP'S wife called rccl and (believe me I'm telling the truth)RCCL refunded us 450.00 per couple.I guess we have been real fortunate with RCCL and will probably never change cruise lines

Archived