European Power Outlets on Norwegian Jade?

Smokeyham

I saw a post recently that showed American (110 V) power outlets and a USB outlet in cabins on the Norwegian Jade.  On some ships I have been on they also had a European power outlet, either behind a bed or a TV set.  This was useful as an extra place to plug in electronics, if you have the correct adapter.   

Does anyone know if the Jade has those type of plugs, and if so, what type of power adapter is needed to allow the plug to be used by American plug devices?

Thanks for any information.

We were on the Dawn recently, an SF suite.  In the main cabin, it only had one US type outlet.  It had four European type outlets. The bathroom had one US type.  The butler said because of all the European outlets on the ship now, he carried several converters with him.  He said the customer service desk had been loaning out extension cords to some guest so they could run the bathroom power into the cabin.   I don't know if the ships are all converting to mostly European or not.  But after that cruise, I bought two converters off Amazon to always take with me now.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, roger001 said:

We were on the Dawn recently, an SF suite.  In the main cabin, it only had one US type outlet.  It had four European type outlets. The bathroom had one US type.  The butler said because of all the European outlets on the ship now, he carried several converters with him.  He said the customer service desk had been loaning out extension cords to some guest so they could run the bathroom power into the cabin.   I don't know if the ships are all converting to mostly European or not.  But after that cruise, I bought two converters off Amazon to always take with me now.  

If all the cabins have more Euro outlets than US, it is distinctly odd that the Dawn's home ports in 2019 will be New York, San Juan, and Tampa, without even one European itinerary. For 2020 the Dawn has sailings on the Mediterranean, mostly from Venice.

51 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

My recollection is that the Gem, which is a sibling ship, had one continental (240v) outlet behind the television set. I think it was a Schuko outlet, which is round and recessed, but an ordinary 2-pin adapter would fit.

31 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Thanks to you both for your responses.  My friend will be in a mini-suite.  Does anyone know if there will be more than one Type F plug?  I am trying to figure out how many adapters to buy for her.

Screen Shot 12-28-18 at 07.29 AM.JPG

A simple round 2-pin adapater plug should do - it changed the round 2 pins to standard U.S. (polarized) 2-prong plugs.  Majority of electronic chargers these days are dual-voltage, auto-sensing, for smartphone, tablets & iPad/iPhone, etc.  It is the small, black adapter on the lower left, here in the U.S. - you can find them in almost all Dollar Stores, also on Amazon & eBay ... don't need the fancy plugs, I have those for oversea travel but seldom really need it.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k32pbm54qmp6iik/IMG140609_0906.jpg?dl=0

On newer ships,  NCL has 2 or 3 US outlets or 1 or 2 Euro outlets -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9l2dhc97qr3nt7/IMG160524_1718.jpg?dl=0

Just a friendly reminder to disconnect them when not in use AND away from the stateroom ... happy cruise planning. 

Edited by mking8288

Thanks everyone.  I have asked my friend who will be on Norwegian Jade, in a mini-suite, to let me know how many of the European type plugs there are in the cabin, and I will post that information back here. 

The Jade rooms, at least the rooms I’ve been in have at least one EU outlet. I always bring my eu hair straightener because for some reason it gets much hotter than the us outlet which seems to run the US hair straighteners at about half the heat. The eu outlet that I’m certain they have is near the table/mirror with the blow dryer ncl provides. I have not sailed in a mini suite on the Jade but have sailed in several other categories and all the rooms had the eu outlet. No U.K. outlet. 

10 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

The Jade rooms, at least the rooms I’ve been in have at least one EU outlet. I always bring my eu hair straightener because for some reason it gets much hotter than the us outlet which seems to run the US hair straighteners at about half the heat. The eu outlet that I’m certain they have is near the table/mirror with the blow dryer ncl provides. I have not sailed in a mini suite on the Jade but have sailed in several other categories and all the rooms had the eu outlet. No U.K. outlet. 

Thanks for that info. 

I have heard voltage as being equivalent to water pressure, if you are using an analogy of a plumbing system to an electrical system.   The European plug would be using 220 volts, as compared to the American 110 volts, so it would make sense that your hair straightener would have more heat using the 220 volt system.

42 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks for that info. 

I have heard voltage as being equivalent to water pressure, if you are using an analogy of a plumbing system to an electrical system.   The European plug would be using 220 volts, as compared to the American 110 volts, so it would make sense that your hair straightener would have more heat using the 220 volt system.

That makes sense. I’ve never plugged an eu hair straightener into a us outlet for safety reasons nor a us hair straightener into a eu outlet with adapter for same reason. But my us straightener which works very well in the USA does not work well on the ship when plugged into one of their USA outlets. The eu straightener however works just as well in the eu as it does when plugged into the Jade eu outlet, which is why on the ship I only bring the eu straightener and leave the USA one at home.