Looking for easy tour of Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, Shirley's Heights via ta

irisheileen

We have been to these areas before years ago, but our travelling partners haven't and we want to enjoy the day with them.  We don't want to walk up to Shirley's Heights 😊. We don't think we want to go to a beach afterwards, just the attractions.  As I recall, the taxi drivers are regulated, right?  We won't get ripped off if just hiring a taxi at the pier, right? What would the cost for 4 ppl be each way/round trip? Also, thinking of Lawrence of Antigua $ price? or Scenic Tours Antigua for $38. Hoping for comparisons of your experiences of each method.  Which have you done?  We arive 7am and all aboard 4:30pm.  I would want to be on board by "3:30" for peace of mind. 😎 Thanks.

While in Antigua last year, we took the local bus from St. John's to Nelson's Dockyard. The bus was $3 per person each way and the entrance to the dockyard was $8 per person. The entire "excursion" cost $28 for two people and we got to see the island plus could spend as much time as we wanted at the dockyard. If you do this, I would recommend getting to the dockyard early as it gets very crowded once the organized tours arrive.

We took the bus as well.  Very easy as the Boatyard is the last stop on the route, and the bus drops you off right at the entrance.  Several buses running this route, so no danger of being stranded, especially since you could always call a taxi to get back if you were worried.

I can't imagine what a tour guide could tell you to justify paying their rate.

We are currently booked with a cruise ship tour but would really prefer to do something private.  On most islands there are tons of locals waiting to take you on a tour of their island for very reasonable prices.  We would like to just tour the island a bit with no beach stop and then back to the ship - 3-4 hours max.  Does anyone remember seeing locals outside the pier offering such tours?  I see them all of the time on the other islands and have actually used them - no problems and the tour was fine. Thanks.

Just walk from the cruise ship to the West End Bus Station which is close to the fish market.  Take Bus 17 to English Harbour / Nelsons Dock.  Some of the beaches can be easily reached by bus. Use this guide  http://caribya.com/antigua/buses/

and don't be afraid to ask the ladies who hang around the depot which bus is number 17 - those women around the market love to know everybody's business but are a little hard to understand.  Last time there I simply took a random bus that went along the south coast road and back. 

Leave yourself time to go into the market near the port and find the stalls that sell art.  If you buy a painting have it rolled up in paper and when you get home get it stretched and framed... Antigua seems to have the best Caribbean artists for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, Fred&Lily said:

Just walk from the cruise ship to the West End Bus Station which is close to the fish market.  Take Bus 17 to English Harbour / Nelsons Dock.  Some of the beaches can be easily reached by bus. Use this guide  http://caribya.com/antigua/buses/

and don't be afraid to ask the ladies who hang around the depot which bus is number 17 - those women around the market love to know everybody's business but are a little hard to understand.  Last time there I simply took a random bus that went along the south coast road and back. 

It seems like I remember the market is a bit of a walk, but I could be thinking of another island.  What's the walk to the market like.  Is it just straight out of the port?  Do you remember how long it took to get to English Harbour on the bus? 

Thanks!!

Cindy

Less than 10 minutes, but there isn't much of a sidewalk. I was there a few days ago and it's just beyond the St.John's Crafts Market.  BTW, it's still a lot easier to simply walk off the ship and ask the taxi guys to take you to Darkwood Beach which is easily the best beach in Antigua.  A few bucks each way.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, irisheileen said:

We have been to these areas before years ago, but our travelling partners haven't and we want to enjoy the day with them.  We don't want to walk up to Shirley's Heights 😊. We don't think we want to go to a beach afterwards, just the attractions.  As I recall, the taxi drivers are regulated, right?  We won't get ripped off if just hiring a taxi at the pier, right? What would the cost for 4 ppl be each way/round trip? Also, thinking of Lawrence of Antigua $ price? or Scenic Tours Antigua for $38. Hoping for comparisons of your experiences of each method.  Which have you done?  We arive 7am and all aboard 4:30pm.  I would want to be on board by "3:30" for peace of mind. 😎 Thanks.

Do Lawrence..he has free WiFi on the bus and supply com. drinks too