Cuba cruises - onboard ATM

nicedream

When I took a 4 day cruise on Royal Caribbean that had 1 day in Havana, they made a point to inform us that the ATM would be turned off when in Cuba. I assume it had something to do with banking regulations.

In February I'll be on the Feb 11th 9 day Cuba intensive on the Journey. Since cash is essential in Cuba, I'm trying to decide how much to bring for the cruise. Can anyone say whether or not the ship ATM will be operational at any point during the Cuba intensive? 

It was turned off while in Havana when we were on Journey last fall. Told it was government regulation, but not which government.  We lost overnight in Bermuda at last minute and stopped in Key West instead because of US rules.  Cleared Immigration twice.

Depending upon whether you are doing ships excursions or private tours your cash needs will vary.  Ships excursions require only money for tips.  On the ships Tours we did last month the guide was happy to be tipped in either CUC or USD.

if you are doing private tours or exploring on your own you will need CUC.  There really isn’t a lot to buy in Cuba we bought about a dozen cigars (CUCs)  and 2 t-shirts.  We had to pay in CUCs for the T-shirt we bought in the terminal in Havana.  The T-shirt we bought outside the ship in Santiago de Cuba we paid in USD.

We did a private classic car & walking  tour in Havana & had lunch at a very nice restaurant for 220 CUC for both including tips for the guide and driver.  The other 3 days we did ships tours.  In total we exchanged 150 £ and about 130€  And ended up finding a vendor who gave us USD for the 10 CUC we had left.

13 hours ago, Wickets said:

It was turned off while in Havana when we were on Journey last fall. Told it was government regulation, but not which government.  We lost overnight in Bermuda at last minute and stopped in Key West instead because of US rules.  Cleared Immigration twice.

Thanks for the info. Your cruise was a transatlantic, correct? The Cuba intensive I'm on is only stopping in Cuban ports, which is why I was unsure if ATMs would be available. In other words, do the ships have to be a certain distance away from Cuba to avoid the government regulations? And if so, will we reach that distance as we circle the island?

The ATM's are not operative while in Cuba.  I brought crisp new US$100 bills to exchange when we got off the ship in the ports.  We actually found a lot of souvineers and gifts to buy in the various market  places in Havana.  Also enjoyed the local restaurants which all had great music by locals.  We never use the ATM's on the ships as the fee is ridiculous.  Enjoy

1 hour ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

The ATM's are not operative while in Cuba.  I brought crisp new US$100 bills to exchange when we got off the ship in the ports.  We actually found a lot of souvineers and gifts to buy in the various market  places in Havana.  Also enjoyed the local restaurants which all had great music by locals.  We never use the ATM's on the ships as the fee is ridiculous.  Enjoy

I guess to be more specific, my question is if the ATM is available between Cuban ports. 

So if it's turned off while docked in Havana, will it be turned back on while the ship is sailing around the island on the way to the next port of Cienfuegos? 

I want to bring enough cash for the entire cruise, but I don't want to carry more than I have to. 

9 hours ago, nicedream said:

I guess to be more specific, my question is if the ATM is available between Cuban ports. 

So if it's turned off while docked in Havana, will it be turned back on while the ship is sailing around the island on the way to the next port of Cienfuegos? 

I want to bring enough cash for the entire cruise, but I don't want to carry more than I have to. 

OK sorry, I just found my Insider.  It reads " In order to comply with International banking regulations,  all ATM's onboard will not be in operation while in Cuba or Cuban waters.  ATM's will shut down 3 hours before arriving in Cuba and will be turned on 3 hours after we leave Cuba. "  I hope this answers your question

• Thanks 1

OK sorry, I just found my Insider.  It reads " In order to comply with International banking regulations,  all ATM's onboard will not be in operation while in Cuba or Cuban waters.  ATM's will shut down 3 hours before arriving in Cuba and will be turned on 3 hours after we leave Cuba. "  I hope this answers your question

Thanks, that helps. The part I was wondering about is if leaving Havana en route to Cienfuegos was considered to be "leaving Cuba". 

I'm not sure how far from the shore the ship has to be before the regulations are not applicable, or if we would reach that distance. But since Azamara made a point to say that they would be turned on, I'll assume that we will reach that distance. 

4 minutes ago, nicedream said:

Thanks, that helps. The part I was wondering about is if leaving Havana en route to Cienfuegos was considered to be "leaving Cuba". 

I'm not sure how far from the shore the ship has to be before the regulations are not applicable, or if we would reach that distance. But since Azamara made a point to say that they would be turned on, I'll assume that we will reach that distance. 

As you are only buying single entry visas I would assume leaving Cuba means the ATM is off for a period of days until you leave the final port. 

20 minutes ago, nicedream said:

Sorry, but I believe if the ship is going from Havana straight to Cienfuegos, it will not be turned on as you are on a singe entry Visa.  It will only be turned on if the ship is leaving Cuba and going to a different port, such as Grand Cayman, etc.....   If you are that concerned, just use the ATM as soon as you board in Miami.

Sorry, but I believe if the ship is going from Havana straight to Cienfuegos, it will not be turned on as you are on a singe entry Visa.  It will only be turned on if the ship is leaving Cuba and going to a different port, such as Grand Cayman, etc.....   If you are that concerned, just use the ATM as soon as you board in Miami.

Well in that case I would just get cash from my bank before I leave for the trip. But I'm trying to determine if I need to bring enough cash for the entire trip, or if I'll have the opportunity to replenish my funds if necessary.

It sounds like you were on one of the Cuba cruises that made stop(s) in other countries. Which one? And did you have to purchase multiple visas? 

2 hours ago, nicedream said:

Well in that case I would just get cash from my bank before I leave for the trip. But I'm trying to determine if I need to bring enough cash for the entire trip, or if I'll have the opportunity to replenish my funds if necessary.

It sounds like you were on one of the Cuba cruises that made stop(s) in other countries. Which one? And did you have to purchase multiple visas? 

we were to stop in Grand Cayman after Havana and before Cienfuegos.  The water was too rough so we missed Grand Cayman.  we actually needed two Visas because of the stop in Grand Cayman.  Azamara charges everyone for the one Visa $75.00, but absorbed the fee for the second one.

• Thanks 1