Flambana..... realistic times?

les37b

OK, my planned trip isnt until August 2020, though the cruise has been booked.

Stopping at Flam, obviously the main attraction and one I'd like to take is the Flambana train. Now here's the problem!

My ship Silver Wind (which will be docked I presume) arrives in Flam at 8am according to the itinerary and departs at 12.30pm to Gudvangen. The ship does run tours on the Flambana, but its not a return trip. Instead it continues onto Gudvangen by coach at the end of the train ride. Since this means missing some great Fjord scenery, I'd rather just do a return train journey. Problem is, the current summer timetable doesnt seem symathetic to my cruise times. The departures from Flam are 8.35 and 9.45. I know the train station is close and if we are able to disembark at 8, it wont be a problem to catch the train. The return journey gets back with plenty of time. The return from the 9.45 outwards arrives back at 11.55am so not feasible and not worth taking the chance of seeing our ship depart without us!

I do want to do the train journey, but not the coach and I dont want to miss the cruising the fjords. (I always timelapse film this type of stuff, so that coach isnt an option Id chose. Now I half expect the reason they done this, is because Silversea know the current train times are not really realistic for a cruise ship booking given its tightness. But as an individual....... is it worth taking a risk with the earlier train and hope the ship arrives on time (or earlier) and that there is no delay to disembark once we've docked.

Now the return fare is about £50 each and I'd be prepared to gamble if its feasible Id manage to catch that 8.35. But if its never going to happen, then I'd miss travelling the train and just stay in Flam. I appreciate weather and other factors need to be considered and nothing is an exact science. However, if any travellers (Silversea in particular) are able to remember if there was similar scenario for their cruise and short stay in Flam, if would be good to hear. Plus I've no doubt SS will add a very hefty premium for booking the train and the coach, which is another reason I'd prefer to DIY if I can. (If it does indeed tender, then its obviously never going to work.)

Many thanks in Advance.

Any tips for any of the other ports would be good also......

Lots to consider here, if your ship docks on time you should be okay for the 8.35 train. It's about 200 yards to the station.  However, when we visited in July on Marella Discovery, we were the only ship. I believe that sometimes there are 2 ships and one has to tender.  If this is the case you would need to allow time for  the tendering.  Flam itself is very beautiful but tiny, personally the train and coach would appeal to me as you will see lots of scenery from the mountain journey.  You can be up early and on deck to see the sail in.   Please bear in mind the train journey is an hour each way and our train stopped for 20 minutes to allow the other train to pass as there is only one passing place. If you have to be back on the ship for 12 noon you would need to watch the time.

Thank you Dronnygirl.

Yes good point regarding more than one ship. Too far out to check now, but certainly one to watch. I’d like to think a littl’un like Silver Wind might get the nod, but it’s probably info we’ll be able to obtain.

The other thing in our favour - we will already have cleared customs in Oslo, though expect that’s a given for probably all ships.

Appreciate the advice on timekeeping. It really is the 8.35 or nothing. If we got that, the return could have us back on the ship by 10.50...... though I expect I might be tempted to have a little drone flight for the fjord views and surrounding area, before getting back on. 

Edited by les37b

It would be a shame not to have time to walk round Flam. Its tiny but we spent a couple of hours just wandering, didn't  want to get back on board!  There's a great little brewery, worth sticking your head in the door even if you don't have a drink. Also a small market and a teepee where the natives from the north sell their goods. As the weather was so good when we were there, there were people swimming in the fjord and we couldn't resist a paddle!

6 hours ago, les37b said:

My ship Silver Wind (which will be docked I presume) arrives in Flam at 8am

I can see that Silver Wind In 2019 is anchoring in Flåm - depends on how many ships in Flåm that day.

6 hours ago, les37b said:

and I'd be prepared to gamble if its feasible Id manage to catch that 8.35.

Wait with booking until you know if the ship is docked. - Or plan for a later train and catch your ship in Gudevangen - only 20 minutes from Flåm to Gudevangen by bus.

Edited by hallasm
Spelling

5 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

It would be a shame not to have time to walk round Flam. Its tiny but we spent a couple of hours just wandering, didn't  want to get back on board!  There's a great little brewery, worth sticking your head in the door even if you don't have a drink. Also a small market and a teepee where the natives from the north sell their goods. As the weather was so good when we were there, there were people swimming in the fjord and we couldn't resist a paddle!

Agreed. Often ports and local area can be dull and not worth getting off for. Flam is not one of them. Its a long way off yet.... so just looking at options and feasibility really at the mo. I may well look at the option Hallasm has suggested rather than the SS coach.

33 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I can see that Silver Wind In 2019 is anchoring in Flåm - depends on how many ships in Flåm that day.

Wait with booking until you know if the ship is docked. - Or plan for a later train and catch your ship in Gudevangen - only 20 minutes from Flåm to Gudevangen by bus.

Yes, I'll not be booking until I know those details. I doubt the port details will be available for a while yet. The Cruise Line trips lay on a coach after the train journey from Myrdal to Gudevangen. Personally I'd rather be on the ship from Flam, BUT thankyou for the tip I'd not be lost if the ship left before I got back into Flam. The ship takes 2h 15 mins to get there.... So I could film it leaving Flam with the drone  and then arriving in Gudevangen. 

Which fjord scenery are you worried about missing due to the coach ride?

There’s a small stretch of Sognefjord that will be backtracked on the way from Flåm to Gudvangen, and as mentioned above, you could plan to see it as you arrive in Flåm.

The Nærøyfjord, which Gudvangen is st the end of, is definitely worth enjoying. However, you’ll be sailing through it as the ship leaves port.

While you won’t be seeing it all twice, you won’t miss anything entirely.

Also, there is a pretty nice viewpoint above a Gudvangen that’s a coach stop on the Norway in a Nutshell route. If that’s included on the overland excursion, it’s s nice little extra.

• 6 months later...

My humble apologies for not replying to your reply.

All a moot point. They've changed the itinerary and no longer calling to Flam. (Norwegian regulations in place and our older ship Silver Wind, doesn't meet emission regulations.

My plan in the end was to catch the train and back, then film the ships departure with my drone, coach over to  Gudvangen and film its arrival.

Oh well.... lights, camera..... cancellation