Taking 2.5 year old on NCL ? Thoughts/tips/advice

jessvee

1 hour ago, sargemrs said:

Oh not good!  We're in an H6 so we're aft and not in the Haven proper, so I suspect, that except for meals we'll be elsewhere.

Don't worry. The positive Haven experiences far outweigh the negative. If a person has a bad experience in the Haven, they are likely to voice that opinion on the forum. If it's their first Haven experience, they are likely to voice that opinion incessantly on the forum.

The vast majority of guests who sail in the Haven will (or will try to) return to the Haven. More people have been driven away from the Haven by NCL's price increases than by the behavior of children, IMO.

As for staying in the H6, it is a walk but it isn't as bad as some people think. It doesn't bother any of us BUT we did have an umbrella stroller for the 2 then 3 year-old.

• Like 1

"Try to" like the Haven is some special club that is hard to get in to. You just pay for a cabin.  You are in.  As for the price increases being the driving factor... Yeah, that's because for some people the haven isn't WORTH the price....  It goes hand in hand. It's not that expensive, you just don't get good value to justify the premium.  And part of why the value isn't there is because it's not the Shangri la "haven" like experience they have marketed it to be. It's a family zone.  There are much better options at sea for a fraction of the price. 

Here is a picture from my "haven" experience.  It was like this all day every day.  In fact often there were even more kids.  The pool and hot tubs were unusable and the Haven was crazy loud.  I think the family group will be just fine. 

20180225-124151.jpg

Edited by BNBR

1 hour ago, sargemrs said:

Oh not good!  We're in an H6 so we're aft and not in the Haven proper, so I suspect, that except for meals we'll be elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry. You have a killer cabin and I suspect you booked it mostly for the cabin.  The Haven is hit or miss it seems and it's very possible I was at the more extreme spectrum on my sailing.

This is our first Haven cabin but we opted for suites on our second cruise and “can’t go back”...... the perks reeled us in!  We don’t get to cruise as often but the cruise is just such a better experience for us.  First time with kids and I’m apprehensive but folks on here have encouraged me.  

7 hours ago, sargemrs said:

This is our first Haven cabin but we opted for suites on our second cruise and “can’t go back”...... the perks reeled us in!  We don’t get to cruise as often but the cruise is just such a better experience for us.  First time with kids and I’m apprehensive but folks on here have encouraged me.  

I hope I have encouraged more than discouraged! My point has been that the Haven is full of families and kids and you will fit right in. So go and enjoy it! 

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

I hope I have encouraged more than discouraged! My point has been that the Haven is full of families and kids and you will fit right in. So go and enjoy it! 

Oh definitely.  I think the fact that we're not in the Haven itself will help tremendously!  We adults wouldn't be in the pools or spas, not saying the children won't, but of course someone will be there watching for sure!!  We're REALLY excited and if it's too much stress, we won't repeat it!!  It'll be adults only next time.  Too much money to just baby sit!!  Can do that at home a lot cheaper!!:classic_cool:

3 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

Oh definitely.  I think the fact that we're not in the Haven itself will help tremendously!  We adults wouldn't be in the pools or spas, not saying the children won't, but of course someone will be there watching for sure!!  We're REALLY excited and if it's too much stress, we won't repeat it!!  It'll be adults only next time.  Too much money to just baby sit!!  Can do that at home a lot cheaper!!:classic_cool:

We think alike, lol.  That's why we make sure to pick cruises that have good camps. Grandparents will hang with the kids for an evening or two as well. It works out. But every waking moment with the kids on a cruise... I'd rather stay home, too. 

You will find a good balance. You have an excellent cabin for it. We will just have drinks and relax on the balcony when the kids go to sleep. Works out well. 

Have fun!