Islands from Japan to Australia?

Mtngirl2

Hello!  We will be on Holland America's Legends of the Pacific cruise in August 2019, which will be focusing on WWII stops from Japan to Australia.  Besides several ports in Japan (Nagasaki, etc.), we will be stopping at Guam, Saipan, Jayapura Indonesia, several stops in Papua New Guinea, Ghizo Island and Honiara in Soloman Islands, Noumea and Ile des Pines in New Caledonia, and ending in Sydney.  Other than the ports in Japan, has anyone toured any of these islands/places?  We are waiting to see what HA will offer as shore excursions, and we are open to suggestions on what to see.  Many thanks!

If you are wanting a tour in Noumea that is to do with WW2, there is the WW2 Museum at 14 Ave Paul Doumer which we visited on a Princess excursion. We found it very interesting and a worthwhile visit. The museum is about 700 metres from the cruise ship terminal where you are likely to dock. Iles des Pins or Isle of Pines is mainly for swimming and snorkelling or just lazing on the beach. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

Mtngirl2 - I've been to most of these places but not on a big ship like yours - I've been on expedition ships with 100 passengers and equipped with zodiacs.   Your ship will be limited to biggish ports but I guess tendering ashore will also be part of the trip.  I think you will mostly see a lot of war memorials, a few cemeteries and some museums with outdoor exhibits with WWII tanks etc.   Be aware that there are sometimes significant security issues with the cities in PNG.  Rabaul is an utterly amazing place, the site of Simpson's Harbour, a perpetually angry volcano, a great WWII cemetery and other things, like the caves where the Japanese held out for months.  The best memorial I think is the one at Guadalcanal/Honiara where you can also see Bloody Ridge and sail across Iron Bottom Sound.  It's a shame your trip doesn't include Vanuatu/Espiritu Santo where you can walk on the original beach of James Michener's Tales of the South Pacific and look across to the original Bali H'ai.

These photos are of Rabaul, Honiara and Jayapura - Have a good trip!

DSC_1822.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Edited by Fletcher