What ports are available to a wheelchair bound person?

RubyOnTheWater

We are looking to take a cruise with my daughter who is unable to sit unassisted. She is small enough we can carry her some (like last September we stayed at a house directly across the street from the beach in Florida and carried her to the beach each day, but that is about the limit of carrying her. It was across the street and down one flight of steps to the beach.) To go very far though she needs to be sitting in her wheelchair and it is a pretty heavy chair. 

We are hoping for a winter cruise next February or early January. We want a 5 day cruise with 2 ports or 7 day with 3 ports. I just want to make sure we can get her off the ship at ALL the ports and prefer if there is something close to the port that she can do. I don't think traveling with her chair with a taxi would be very easy. I am hoping for nice beaches with calm water.

If these are next to impossible expectations I just need to know so we can pick a different vacation. 

Hi, you should be fine on a cruise.

Planning and research is the key to cruising with a wheelchair.  

Use CC to ask about ports once you have decided where you want to cruise.

Avoid tender ports

Each cruise line has a special needs department which will be able to advise you on wheelchair friendly excursions, once you have decided which cruise to take. You don't have to book any excursions through the cruise line but you could use their knowledge to help you plan.

Make sure you book a wheelchair accessible cabin. 

We find Half Moon Cay (Holland America) to be more accessible than Stirrup Cay (NCL). HA has built considerable infrastructure, and the tenders they use at HMC are very capable of supporting power chairs, scooters, and manual chairs (they are tenders that stay at the island, not ones from the ship).

Nassau is not very accessible. Grand Turk is (go out the cruise center gates and there is a wheelchair-accessible tram that can take you on a tour of the island). San Juan is navigable in a chair and there are some tours that are accessible. On St. Thomas, you would want to hire a private taxi- there’s one that is very accessible- good ramp and fantastic driver. The excursion to St. John is unfortunately not accessible- there are a couple of steps to get on the boat.