"Hop on, hop off" opportunity?

Hello and thank you for coming to Cruise Critic!  Love learning about smaller ship cruises and those that give you a real in depth experience.  My question (for now) is, is it possible to disembark in one town and stay a few days and then catch another vessel on the ones that also are "working" ships or do you need to stay on  board for the entire cruise once you embark at the homeport?

Hello Carolyn, We are friends on facebook and have traveled together before.  I can answer that question.  We have traveled on the Hurtigruten and it is a wonderful experience.  Yes you can get off and on anytime.  The ships go continuously north and south.  There is a ship in port twice everyday either going north or south.  My cousin is a captain on the the Kong Harold and we sailed with him a couple of years ago.  I would highly recommend doing this trip.  It is very different from a mainline cruise line but the best way to see Norway (the most beautiful country in the world - I am a little prejudiced) up close and personal.  As I always say when asked about Hurtigruten, the entertainment is looking out the window. 

11 hours ago, O2Bcrusin said:

Hello Carolyn, We are friends on facebook and have traveled together before.  I can answer that question.  We have traveled on the Hurtigruten and it is a wonderful experience.  Yes you can get off and on anytime.  The ships go continuously north and south.  There is a ship in port twice everyday either going north or south.  My cousin is a captain on the the Kong Harold and we sailed with him a couple of years ago.  I would highly recommend doing this trip.  It is very different from a mainline cruise line but the best way to see Norway (the most beautiful country in the world - I am a little prejudiced) up close and personal.  As I always say when asked about Hurtigruten, the entertainment is looking out the window. 

While what you are writing is correct it’s not that easy to book a ‘hop on - hop off’ journey. Only available at the Norwegian web. Hurtigruten does focus on the Coastal North or South bound voyage or the full 11 night return trip - it would be excellent with an ‘easy hop on -hop off’ offering or packets including a stop for some days at Lofoten or Tromsø area.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Carolyn, and thank you to @O2Bcrusin and @hallasm for your feedback! As they both mention, it is possible for guests to “hop on and hop off” via our port-to-port program. We don’t officially offer this in the US, but you can find out more information by emailing booking@hurtigruten.com, or by calling our Norwegian booking office at +47 810 30 000—be sure to press 9 for English!