Any kind of gear loaned or supplied for Alaskan port excursions?

Silverback969

I haven't seen this addressed or discussed, but I'll bet I'm probably not the only one who has ever entertained the question.  This will be our first time in Alaska--last 2 weeks of August--and we're already putting together, at least in our heads, what we think we might need.  One of the things that we want to do is go walk on a glacier.  I'm pretty well convinced that sneakers and jeans will probably NOT be adequate or sufficient for that excursion, and possibly some others, also.  Does the ship, or the excursion concessionaire commonly supply any kind of cold weather wear?  Parkas,  gloves, or boots for glacier walking?  Thanks in advance.

When we walked on a glacier, we had our own jackets and gloves.  The concessionaire provided the boots.

I would recommend layers - jeans over sweatpants or long underwear, long sleeved shirts with a jacket and gloves.  Take an extra pair of socks with you, so that if the first pair get wet, you can change into dry socks when you change back into your own shoes.  Don't forget gloves or mittens and a hat and possibly a scarf.

In the past the descriptions of the tours included anything that the concessionaire provides.

1 hour ago, Silverback969 said:

I haven't seen this addressed or discussed, but I'll bet I'm probably not the only one who has ever entertained the question.  This will be our first time in Alaska--last 2 weeks of August--and we're already putting together, at least in our heads, what we think we might need.  One of the things that we want to do is go walk on a glacier.  I'm pretty well convinced that sneakers and jeans will probably NOT be adequate or sufficient for that excursion, and possibly some others, also.  Does the ship, or the excursion concessionaire commonly supply any kind of cold weather wear?  Parkas,  gloves, or boots for glacier walking?  Thanks in advance.

in addition to the glacier boots provided by the vendor, when you arrive on the glacier, the vendor will provide crampons and trekking poles.  Backpacks are not permitted so any camera equipment must be hand-carried or stuffed in your pockets.

The Vendor takes pretty good care of you and includes the appropriate gear.   We just kayaked to and hiked Mendenhall Glacier this year and I believe the suggested requirement was for non-cotton pants.  

Edited by JRG

Some if not most of our excursions included only heavy rain gear/boots/life jackets when required from the vendor but nothing thermal. (zodiacs, river float etc, kayaking etc.) The one thing I swore I would never leave home without when doing this trip again is WATERPROOF gloves. Would have made every excursion and walking in the rain so much nicer. I had good thermal heavy gloves with me but soon realized 2 minutes in to kayaking my hands were soaked, freezing and they took forever to get dry again! The other is the packets you can pop open and put into your boots or gloves to keep feet and hands warm. Even with good waterproof boots and wool socks my feet were cold on these outings. Great information from Crewsnews regarding most active excursions and planning to put what you need in your pockets. In our case I brought a neoprene fanny pack (can be found in any fitness section or amazon) It was perfect to keep our essentials close and dry when we had to leave our backpack behind with the vendor's and hands free without being cumbersome. Thermal headband that covers the ears for active excursions also saved the day! As others have posted LAYER LAYER LAYER and have a wonderful trip. HAL does Alaska really well. (We have always cruised the first few weeks of September with the expectation of cooler/wetter weather)             

I was lucky to have wool gloves on when we got caught in the rain while kayaking at Icy Point Straights - learned quickly that  wet wool still remains insulating, whereas wet thermal fleece did not - they just get wet. And cold. Had to laugh how much water runs down the arms when kayaking in the rain. Something new to us. 

I now make it a rule to always pack at least one wool or silk warmth layer, no matter where we are going.  In the back of my mind if there is ever an abandon ship warning - it will be dressing in those warm wool clothing items top to bottom when the call comes. Even if thin and summer weight - wool still works best when wet. 

Edited by OlsSalt

My dad, who sailed and skied in his youth (back in the dark ages - the 1920s-50s), swore that wool would keep your warm even if wet.  I've learned that he was right. So for me, counting on the environment: a wool watch cap, wool sweaters, wool gloves, wool socks.  There's a flip side - wool wicks well, too.  So I wear wool socks all year long - even when hiking in the summer.   No more soggy cotton socks for me...

We packed thermals (aka long underwear) as it doesn't take much space but can make a big difference as an extra layer under jeans.  I also packed (but didn't use) a pair of hard shell rain pants.  I'm a big fan of fleece as a mid-layer and then a rain coat as a hard shell outer layer.  Rain coat doesn't breathe well, but will cut wind very well and with the fleece can insulate pretty effectively under light activity conditions.  Fleece also dries fast and wicks well.  I know people say it won't insulate when wet, but as long as it's not drenched I find it's still a decent insulator for me when I'm hiking... <shrug>

We did a helicopter tour of Mendenhall Glacier by Juneau.  I wore thermal underwear top & bottom, jeans, long sleeve tshirt, fleece full zip, rain coat.  I also packed a thin wool knit cap and thin good quality gloves (TNF e-tips, fleece soft shell glove that blocks wind very well).  We were comfortable, but only on the glacier about 1/2 hour (also weren't very active though, versus a hike).  I wore waterproof trail shoes (LL Bean ones) and then the tour company gave us studded overboots (like this https://cozywinters.com/shop/stabilicers-overshoe.html) to wear while on the ice.