Disney Commits to Galveston for 10 more years

Tenderpaw

https://abc13.com/travel/disney-cruises-will-sail-from-galveston-for-another-decade/5093678/

Looks like Disney is happy with the performance of their Galveston cruises.  Big change from when the Magic first came and wasn't selling well.  I wonder if they'll bring one of the larger ships to Galveston when the new ships come out?

Dave

1 hour ago, Tenderpaw said:

https://abc13.com/travel/disney-cruises-will-sail-from-galveston-for-another-decade/5093678/

Looks like Disney is happy with the performance of their Galveston cruises.  Big change from when the Magic first came and wasn't selling well.  I wonder if they'll bring one of the larger ships to Galveston when the new ships come out?

Dave

Since the article says: 

a ship equal to or larger than the Disney Magic/Disney Wonder class of vessel.

I'd say "no".  The new ships are the same size as the Dream class ships, not smaller like the Magic class.

I suspect Galveston will continue to get one of the Classic ships. And the 3 new ships will sail out of PC as they come on board. This would allow DCL to only have 1 type of ship at PC and it would help with maintaining the same port side workload and in port ship repairs, aka economies of scale. Perhaps the Dream or Fantasy will shift to Galveston when the 3rd new ship comes on board, if the Wonder and Magic can do more of the Alaska or EU cruising into the smaller ports.  But, I don't see how DCL could justify a new ship going to Galveston.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the larger ships can go through the Panama Canal, so they don't stop at Galveston.

The Wonder does Alaska and the Pacific coast, so stopping in Galveston in November makes sense. I think it then moves on to Puerto Rico in early January.

Steve

Galveston could handle Dream or Fantasy. Royal and Carnival currently have ships sailing from there that are about the same size. Royal's new terminal, big enough to handle an Oasis class ship, is scheduled to be completed by 2020. 

12 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

I don't think the larger ships can go through the Panama Canal, so they don't stop at Galveston.

The Wonder does Alaska and the Pacific coast, so stopping in Galveston in November makes sense. I think it then moves on to Puerto Rico in early January.

Steve

Yes, the larger ships can go through the Panama Canal.  That's one reason that the canal built larger locks - so many ships being built bigger and wanting to use the canal for their travels.