Per drink price

Peachypooh

I know that this calculation has been done before but

I am not good finding things with a search on this new board.

What is the break even point if two people have to get the package

and only one drinks to cover the cost of the tax/gratuity

for the two packages you have to buy? I am thinking

$50 at the bar per day which is 5 or 6 drinks? Thanks.

Edited by Peachypooh

18 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

Not even close......  if you have to BUY the package for 2 people for 7 days it is approx $1,680 total ($99 per person plus 20% per day).... If only ONE person is drinking then they must drink 112 beverages at the max benefit allowance of $15 over the 7 days which is approx 16 per day.  If their beverage of choice is less than $15 then they must drink more. 

I just reread your question after posting and you're asking if the person who purchased the UBP then what would they need to drink..... whew because I've seen drinkers on cruises but that would be impressive at 112.

So, to answer your question it would be 61 drinks over 7 days at the max of $15 which is 9.   Drink cheaper drinks and you need to drink more than 9 

Edited by esm54687

7 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Not even close......  if you have to BUY the package for 2 people for 7 days it is approx $1,680 total ($99 per person plus 20% per day).... If only ONE person is drinking then they must drink 112 beverages at the max benefit allowance of $15 over the 7 days which is 16 per day.  If their beverage of choice is less than $15 then they must drink more. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer this.

8 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

Not even close......  if you have to BUY the package for 2 people for 7 days it is approx $1,680 total ($99 per person plus 20% per day).... If only ONE person is drinking then they must drink 112 beverages at the max benefit allowance of $15 over the 7 days which is 16 per day.  If their beverage of choice is less than $15 then they must drink more. 

As a perk

As I understand those are $40...so 4 normal cocktails and your over...or roughly 6 Miller Lite...

chip in some soda and you are easily over very fast

My DW does not drink alcohol...but soda and virgin cocktails (5.4) and even for her it's a good deal...

If we could choose a cabin and pay less.....well that might change things...but since you either have the option to choose the perk and select your cabin or no perk and no cabin choosing...its easy for us

Edited by Kalum

30 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

You're looking at this the wrong way (which is what the marketing folks want you to do).

Here is a simpler method: Look at your past cruises, what is your typical bar bill? If it is more than the package cost, then it is a good buy. If it is less, than it is not. Easy peasy.

3 minutes ago, Kalum said:

As a perk

As I understand those are $40...so 4 normal cocktails and your over...or roughly 6 Miller Lite...

chip in some soda and you are easily over very fast

My DW does not drink alcohol...but soda and virgin cocktails (5.4) and even for her it's a good deal...

If we could choose a cabin and pay less.....well that might change things...but since you either have the option to choose the perk and select your cabin or no perk and no cabin choosing...its easy 

The OP asked "have to get the package" which I interpreted as required to BUY which I highlighted.  If they had a Sailaway rate and one wanted to get the package then the second one would "have to get the package". You never "have to get" a perk. 

But I can also see your point because they asked about tax / gratuity. 

Thank you to both of you for answering. I was not clear in my question. We have the option of

getting the drink package as a perk. I am wondering if we would drink enough to cover the cost

of the 20% charge since I only drink water and not alcohol/soft drinks, etc.

Both of your answers were very helpful.

1 hour ago, Peachypooh said:

Thank you to both of you for answering. I was not clear in my question. We have the option of

getting the drink package as a perk. I am wondering if we would drink enough to cover the cost

of the 20% charge since I only drink water and not alcohol/soft drinks, etc.

Both of your answers were very helpful.

If you are getting the drink package as a perk, your cost for gratuities/service charges for the two of you on a 7 day cruise would be $40/day or $280. Soda from the soda gun at bars is included. I believe a glass of soda is about $4? Most beer is around $8 and wine and mixed drinks are around $10. So between the two of you, you would need to drink as many as 10 sodas a day or as few as 4 alcoholic drinks per day to break even.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

If you are getting the drink package as a perk, your cost for gratuities/service charges for the two of you on a 7 day cruise would be $40/day or $280. Soda from the soda gun at bars is included. I believe a glass of soda is about $4? Most beer is around $8 and wine and mixed drinks are around $10. So between the two of you, you would need to drink as many as 10 sodas a day or as few as 4 alcoholic drinks per day to break even.

Thank you! Very helpful!