Options for a 12-year-old on Oasis

jenelizab

Hi all,

Our family is sailing on the Oasis next month. My oldest daughter is 12. I'm looking for some fresh advice/experiences on teen activities for that age. Will they split the older and younger teens up? Can she use the teen fitness center? I see that listed on the first day's activities. She's in the middle of her hockey season, and is used to doing off-ice conditioning. She would love it if there was a fitness center she could use. Thanks!

When we did Harmony last January, the kids were 12 & 13. They went to the get together on the first night but there weren't many there and said it was awkward.  Just be aware that for 12 year olds, there are very few planned activities persay. It's more about hanging out and if they don't find some other teens they want to hang out with it could be tricky. My kids then proceeded to spend the whole cruise with us. We, and the kids, were really missing the actual kids club, as they really enjoyed having the organized activities in the past.

• Like 1

The teens tend to be split when there are a bunch onboard like during a school break.   Going to the teen club the first night is key to have a chance making friends.  There are teen only activities but some cruises many teens will participate and others not so much.

There is no teen fitness center.  I've seen teens in the fitness center.  Try during a less busy time and make sure a parent is with her.  If the staff won't allow her in, there is a large track that anyone can use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LauraLap said:

When we did Harmony last January, the kids were 12 & 13. They went to the get together on the first night but there weren't many there and said it was awkward.  Just be aware that for 12 year olds, there are very few planned activities persay. It's more about hanging out and if they don't find some other teens they want to hang out with it could be tricky. My kids then proceeded to spend the whole cruise with us. We, and the kids, were really missing the actual kids club, as they really enjoyed having the organized activities in the past.

Yep, we had the same issue.  Our daughter, 14, never found a comfort factor with the teen club, especially due to the lack or organized activities.  The few times we were able to get her to go by the lounge, it was just a bunch of teen boys on the xbox, nothing really for her to engage in. 

• Like 1

I really appreciate these responses. They’ll help me adjust her expectations. She said she was hoping to make friends, I think based on what she saw on DCL when she was younger. I’ll have to tell her, well, she can always hang out with me and her Dad, lol. It is winter break week in our part of the country, so I’m still hopeful, but I’ll keep that to myself. 😊