Livorno port to Pisa and Lucca

disneykins

We want to DIY by train to Pisa and Lucca from Livorno in April. We have the train schedules all figured out but cant find any info on getting from the ship to Livorno Centrale station. It looks like a long walk.  Is there a ship shuttle? And what does it cost? 

Thanks,

Tony

A strategy discussed often here is the best way to get to the train station. Most lines don't offer a shuttle to the station* but rather to downtown Livorno. (And generally at a small cost, not free, if on a mass market line.)

Some have had success getting a taxi from the line up that will inevitably be waiting there, hoping for a full-day booking to Florence or other destinations. If you can find a driver to take you, it will cost about 20 euro for the (not very long) trip to the station, but if you can find another party to share it's probably worthwhile time-wise. (Warning -- some have said they were NOT able to convince a taxi to take them....)

If you take a shuttle to downtown Livorno you will be dropped in a square (Piazza del Municipio) and from there you can get a local bus to the train station.

Here are some fairly precise instructions on the whole process from port to train station (just disregard the onward journey to Florence):  

*NCL is the exception to this, they generally offer a shuttle to the train station -- but I don't think it's free.

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

(Warning -- some have said they were NOT able to convince a taxi to take them....)

I agree that a taxi to the train station would be the best option in light of your limited time in port.

On our 2nd Med cruise, my family wanted to visit Pisa. Unfortunately, we were not able to get a taxi from port to Livorno Centrale. Went down the taxi rank at the port asking for a ride to Livorno Centrale and were firmly rebuked - they were obviously waiting for the higher fares to Florence, etc. Anyway, we finally gave up and took the shuttle into town & bus to the train station. Link to instructions here (the link in the older post is no longer active).  https://shorebee.com/en/italy/florence/from-livorno-cruise-port-to-florence/train

Hi

ive done this journey twice including stopping at Pisa on the way back.

if you search on the Carnival boards for Luca+Livorno and Carnival Legend or Vista or sunshine you should find a detailed post that I followed.

in a nutshell, you take the free bus from the ship to Livorno town centre.  You then walk over the road to the newsagents and ask for bus tickets to the station and train tickets to Luca.

you catch the bus around the corner from where you were dropped off to the train station, and then take the train to Luca I think you change at Pisa central from memory.

to get to Pisa get off the train at Pisa Roma, you won’t have to walk as long, we made the mistake of going to Pisa Central and it was a 30 minutes walk.  Just check that the train stops at Pisa Rosa as not all of them do.  When you get to Luca you can hire bikes to ride around the city walks.  We loved Luca that’s why we went twice on different cruises.  Set off early and you will be fine.

i wil try and find the carnival post and pop back.