How to get to Quebec City by train?

madre2

Traveling on a ship from Quebec City to NYC in October.  My wife will not fly.  We need to get to Quebec City from Syracuse.  I know we can take Amtrak from Syracuse to Montreal, but then how do we get to Quebec City ? And what stations should we be booking ?   Thank you so much for any help you can provide.  

3 hours ago, madre2 said:

Traveling on a ship from Quebec City to NYC in October.  My wife will not fly.  We need to get to Quebec City from Syracuse.  I know we can take Amtrak from Syracuse to Montreal, but then how do we get to Quebec City ? And what stations should we be booking ?   Thank you so much for any help you can provide.  

You'll want to book a train to Gare du Palais in Quebec City, rather than Sainte-Foy (the suburban station). The train station is much closer to the dock than the airport (it's actually roughly in front of Wharf 30), so you can tell your wife it's a much more convenient way to get to Quebec City than the plane :classic_biggrin:.

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

VIA RAIL   goes from Montreal to QC 

or you can get the Orleans express bus

Amtrak site  shows  Empire 280  from Syracuse to Montreal  12 hr trip 

so maybe go a day or more early

I'd probably be overnighting in Montreal in that case.

Schenectady would be your closest station for the Adirondack OP - if that's too much of a hassle the other option is to take Amtrak's Maple Leaf to Toronto then VIA Rail from there to Quebec. If you have the pre-cruise time, a couple of days each in Toronto and Montreal would make for a very nice trip and give lots of flexibility in the event of travel delays (VIA on the T.O. to Q.C. corridor isn't bad for timeliness, but Amtrak always seems to lose to freight and when you add in an international border the on-time stats drop further).

I found a Viarail train from Montreal to Quebec City  for $30 CAD (price for seniors) by booking in advance an economy escape ticket. Very reasonable for a 3 hour + journey. I like the train better than the bus as I can read without getting travelsick!

We are booked on Viarail in October from Montreal to QC.  We enjoy rail travel, so we are looking forward to that part of the journey.  We plan on 3 nights in Montreal and then 3 nights in QC pre-cruise.  We are looking forward to this time to get to know an area of our continent that we have never visited.  DH and I enjoy spending some time pre &/or post cruise in a local area when we can afford the time.  It gives us the best of both travel worlds - by land and by sea!