Formal night

lionheart

There's an increasing number of people that flaunt the formal dress code and show up in jeans and t-shirts. I do admit though that on Celebrity the majority of the passengers do follow the dress code on formal night. That being said, I think that a dark gree suit is fine. I certainly would not go out and buy a new suit just to use it a couple of times on the ship nor would I spend the money to rent a tux.

What if I stay in my room and eat from room service? I just don't want get get dressed up.Is there anyone else that feels the same way?

NOt making any judgements but the dress on formal nights is for the evening, not just dinner and for the entire ship.

IS it ok to wear a dark green three piece suit? I will be on the Constellation in June (northern Europe).

Thanks,

Kurt

we met a couple on formal nite wearing a pure white suit..I was more embarrased than him.. I touched on this subject before, while sailing...You can walk around a cruise ship in shorts and tank top all week long, if thats how you want to dress..I,ve seen it with my own 2 eyes..Of course those people miss out on all the fine dining going on at nite time.. but, thats there choice..

Kurt,

IS it ok to wear a dark green three piece suit? I will be on the Constellation in June (northern Europe).

That sounds fine, since Celebrity prescribes either "black tie" or a dark suit. The operative word here is "dark."

Norm.

Icky1414,

What if I stay in my room and eat from room service? I just don't want get get dressed up.Is there anyone else that feels the same way?

There are two parts to this question.

1. As another poster pointed out, the evening dress code applies throughout the ship except in the "Casual Dining Boulevard." Other passengers have booked a cruise, with the expectation of the formal atmsophere provided by everybody dressing up for the occasion. Thus, the cruise line has an obligation to those passengers to enforce the dress code. Stateroom Television is not exactly my idea of an evening's entertainment.

2. Several cruise lines that offer "all-casual" cruises, including Oceana Cruises the "premium" segment of the market, Radisson Seven Seas Cruises in the "luxury" segment of the market, and some other lines as well. I also understand that Norwegian Cruise Line now operates "formal optional" evenings rather than true formal evenings. If you don't want to dress up for formal nights during your cruise, one of those lines probably would be a more suitable choice.

I'm not trying to drive you away from Celebrity, but I also don't want you to trap yourself in a situation that is not your style. If another line is a better match, you would have a more enjoyable experience on that line.

Have a wonderful cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.

1. As another poster pointed out, the evening dress code applies throughout the ship except in the "Casual Dining Boulevard." Other passengers have booked a cruise, with the expectation of the formal atmsophere provided by everybody dressing up for the occasion. Thus, the cruise line has an obligation to those passengers to enforce the dress code.

Please tell me which Celebrity ship you have been on that actually enforces the dress code as I have never been on one that does.....

Hello,

I bought a tuxedo for formal nights because my wife and I like to dress up on formal nights. However, I would never ever look down or put down a man who wears a nice suit of any color or a jacket/slacks, or even if he doesn't have a jacket. And there are some truly beautiful very dressy sweaters that can be worn on formal nights.

On formal nights there is a special magic about the ship and if you choose to not particpate that is your right. I also do not believe that a rigid code of dress (black or dark only) for formal nights is fair. The key is to look nice and dressed up and you will be fine.

Fred

Archived