Actual ship

I am looking at the 12 night ( 34 stop) trip Bergen to Bergen. In August 2020. 

So im guessing that you get the ship that is going on that date that is best to you. Can you find out what ship you get in advance. ? Is August a good time?  Also assuming the northern lights won’t be there at that time. 

As the cabins look great but small, is there lounges to spend the time in... when you’re not outside admiring the view. Many thanks. K

I can answer that for you. Yes, when you book your trip, you will see which ship is leaving Bergen for the date you have selected. There is one Hurtigruten ship leaving Bergen every day (365 days/year). You may want to check out the ship you are most interested in first, then find a Bergen departure date for that ship that works with your travel plans. This is what I did. I knew I wanted to leave Bergen on a Saturday evening, flying into Oslo on the prior Thursday, so I found a date when that would work for the MS Trollfjord, my preferred ship.

Yes, the cabins are small, but I really only was in my cabin to sleep, bathe, and change clothes. Most of the newer ships have a lovely indoor observation (Panorama) lounge, which is where I spent the bulk of my time, when not out on deck taking photos.  Check out the different ships here: https://www.hurtigruten.com/our-ships/#

Thank you so much. Do the rooms have a tv ( sometimes I like an afternoon rest and watch some tv to send me off to sleep) 

I enjoy cups of teas regularly during the day and wondered if there’s a place to get this? Is it included in the fare or do we have to pay for everything outside of the three main meals? 

Any information would be welcome. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

@Mrs Clooney, thank you for the question and @Splinter, thank you for the feedback! Per your original question regarding the Northern Lights, you are correct, your chances of seeing them in August are slim to none – but in its place comes a Midnight Sun phenomenon in northern Norway over early Summer (May, June, July). That being said, August is a wonderful time to go to Norway! The temperature is lovely, the sun is shining, there are long hours of daylight, bright blue skies, and calm waters in the fjords and between the skerries, you’ll certainly have a good time. If you have chosen the itinerary you’re interested in and selected the dates online, you’ll see which ships are available on which days and can go about choosing accordingly. And yes, all of our ships have plenty of public spaces to lounge in. Regarding TV/tea, most of the cabins on our Coastal Norway ships do have a television set, and yes, coffee and tea are both complimentary during mealtimes. If you'd like coffee or tea outside of mealtimes, you may visit a cafe on board. 

One thing that is available on a lot of cruise ships on TV is a bridge cam, and I was disappointed to not see that on the Trollfjord when I traveled with Hurtigruten in May 2015, especially as I had an inside cabin. Often these also display outdoor temperatures and wind speed, which is invaluable in deciding what clothing to wear. Is this being considered for Hurtigruten ships?

3 hours ago, Splinter said:

One thing that is available on a lot of cruise ships on TV is a bridge cam, and I was disappointed to not see that on the Trollfjord when I traveled with Hurtigruten in May 2015, especially as I had an inside cabin. Often these also display outdoor temperatures and wind speed, which is invaluable in deciding what clothing to wear. Is this being considered for Hurtigruten ships?

We were on Trollfjord a year ago (March - my, time flies... a year has almost passed already!?).  We had an aft OS, which was wonderful, but we much prefer forward views when possible.  Fortunately, there were TV's that *did* have a Bridge Cam view.  We kept that on ALL the time, even when sleeping, so anytime we woke up or looked up, etc., we could see "where we were going".  Often it was just lights in the distance, but that was fun, too.  During the day, if we were resting, we could see if something interesting was coming (hmmm... that was most of the time :classic_smile: ), and we'd pop up to get a forward view ourselves.

Last time I looked, one could fine that forward Bridge Cam online, and also one side view cam.  We followed that a bit before our trip, and also after.   IF all cabins now have a TV (?), I'd assume they all have the same channels.

I don't quite remember what useful info was on other channels.  I don't remember things like speed or sea/wave height, but most of the time was spent in sheltered water for the RT.  On open seas, that info is more interesting/useful, of course.

GC

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Fortunately, there were TV's that *did* have a Bridge Cam view.

Not all the cabin does have TV - only suites and Arctic Superior- all TV does have the same channels. In addition to the bridge camera also the actual route was on one of the channels.

The ship also has a port side camera, but not on the the TV set.

I have added the bow and port side camera to my blog - not live - picture updated every two minutes - Lint to web cam and route at my review

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

Not all the cabin does have TV - only suites and Arctic Superior- all TV does have the same channels. In addition to the bridge camera also the actual route was on one of the channels.

The ship also has a port side camera, but not on the the TV set.

I have added the bow and port side camera to my blog - not live - picture updated every two minutes - Lint to web cam and route at my review

Ah, that is really too bad.  I know on other cruise lines, that Bridge view is especially useful for inside cabins!

As for the online views, thanks for posting those links.

We used to keep those on a lot prior to our trip, and then again for a while after returning home.

:classic_smile:

GC