Mexico Feb 11th out of SF-Is it cold on sea days? What to wear?

Ginster1

We’re sailing out of San Francisco on the Grand Princess Feb. 11th to Mexico. We live nearby and realize it will probably be cold and windy sailing under the Golden Gate. My question is what are the remaining sea days like along the CA coast on the way to Mexico?  I’m trying to pack light but I don’t like being cold and don’t want to be caught off guard. Any of you that have done this cruise have any recommendations?

We cruised out of LA to Mexico in Feb. many years ago.  It was cold on all sea days coming and going.  Only warm days we had on that cruise was our stops in Mexico.  I don't know if that is the norm, but we have never wanted to do another cruise to Mexico from California.

12 hours ago, anzore said:

Cool until you hit Baja. We are on the grand now in Puerto Vallarta

Thank you Anzore!  I hope you’re having a great time on the Grand. It looks like I’m going to pack more than i thought.

Which day did you hit Baja?

Also, who is your Cruise Director?  Can you share what movies they are showing on MUTS?  

-Ginny

On 1/20/2019 at 8:00 PM, terrysko2000 said:

I took a fleece jacket and used it on the balcony. I did sit in the sun at the aft pool, took off my fleece and burned so be careful. By the time we got to Cabo it had warmed up. Enjoy the whales! 

Thank you for the helpful information Terrysko2000. I’ll make sure I apply sunscreen. 

-Ginny

12 hours ago, ksm77 said:

We cruised out of LA to Mexico in Feb. many years ago.  It was cold on all sea days coming and going.  Only warm days we had on that cruise was our stops in Mexico.  I don't know if that is the norm, but we have never wanted to do another cruise to Mexico from California.

Thank you ksm77. I’ll make sure to pack my down coat. So much for lying by the pool. 

I have been to Mexico about 17 times always from late Nov. trough March.  It is always cold on the way South and the day after you leave Mexico to come home.  But it has always been beautiful and warm in Mexico.  You will definately want a wind breaker with hood if you like to walk the open decks as I do.  Layers as others have said.  Having been to Mexico so many times I now spend a lot of time on the ship in ports.  I have the Pool all to myself, LOL  Have a fantastic time!!!

57 minutes ago, PekingeseLady said:

I have been to Mexico about 17 times always from late Nov. trough March.  It is always cold on the way South and the day after you leave Mexico to come home.  But it has always been beautiful and warm in Mexico.  You will definately want a wind breaker with hood if you like to walk the open decks as I do.  Layers as others have said.  Having been to Mexico so many times I now spend a lot of time on the ship in ports.  I have the Pool all to myself, LOL  Have a fantastic time!!!

I just got back from Mexico (2nd visit) and we stayed on the ship the whole time too.  You get to sit in all the good seats that are taken everyday and the pool is empty.  I thought we might get board so I took games and such but never used any of it.  The weather was perfect. 

We frequently do the Feb Mexican cruises from SanFran. It's always cooler.

Just be prepared with layers that can be removed or put back on as needed.  I typically have 2 shirts, one short sleeve, with a long sleeve over, then a jacket. 

I also wear 2 pairs of pants, normally leggings with jeans or slacks.  Makes taking off layers easy.  

Just have fun, if it's cold, stay inside.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:54 AM, ksm77 said:

yes, this is the norm...exception is when it is beautiful.....only has happened with us once or twice out of probably 20 Mexico sailings out of CA over 30 years. Wind seems to be a big factor,  in the fall, winter & spring.

OP, As others have said it is relative....but we have experienced some of the most unpleasant weather on Pacific coastal and Mexican Rivieras....Not that we haven't enjoyed ourselves...we just bring appropriate clothing.

Enjoy your cruise....

Edited by land lover