Comparison of Sky Suite to MSC YC Suite Experience

PRH

On 1/26/2019 at 7:13 PM, Fogfog said:

🙃:classic_laugh:🙃

Have no idea if MSC is putting out real pizzas... however

PLEASE don't put Chicago pizza and REAL PIZZA (made in Italy--- or made in true Italian style)  in the same sentence.

Having lived/worked and traveled in Italy extensively ----I can promise you the deep dish "chicago"  is NOT pizza...

Real pizza  is cooked within 90 sec in wood fired ovens over 800 degrees ...  Thin crust and is nothing like what Americans think of for pizza.

American tourists have no clue about real pizza and are often shocked to find out real pizza is not deep dish nor Dominos...

THANK YOU PRH for the comparison!! We have wondered whether we should try MSC in YC.

We have friends who have sailed MSC in the Med and HATED it...saying the "taxi" service between ports--sailings of 1-2 days between Med ports was a deal breaker. They didn't sail in YC and absolutely hated MSC compared to X.

We have other friends (he was exec in other cruise line) that tell us the only way we'd like to sail MSC is YC. 

Where did you get the idea that I was comparing MSC "soggy, limp" pizza to Chicago deep dish? That's not really pizza either. I am referring to good, crisp thin crust pizza. I don't believe good pizza is made to be "rolled-up" to eat, lots of people rave about that stuff, not me. Maybe the world thinks Chicago pizza is all deep dish....it is not.

8 hours ago, gimletgal said:

Since taste in food is so subjective, when someone states "the food is awful", I just take it with a grain of salt. What is good to some, may be awful to others.  ("Awful" has certainly not been my experience on 3 cruises with MSC - Divina (1) and Seaside (2).

Some things were just better than others. :classic_smile: Same goes for my experience with Celebrity.

When I say the food was awful....it was awful. There is no grain of salt here. We did'nt eat in Muse the last 2 nights because of this. Maybe you've not had really good food? For the price, the food should be outstanding and it was far from it.

8 hours ago, gotcha3 said:

Where did you get the idea that I was comparing MSC "soggy, limp" pizza to Chicago deep dish? That's not really pizza either. I am referring to good, crisp thin crust pizza. I don't believe good pizza is made to be "rolled-up" to eat, lots of people rave about that stuff, not me. Maybe the world thinks Chicago pizza is all deep dish....it is not.

🤣 Not sure why you quoted me from January.

I don't consider "chicago" style real pizza--

Having lived in Italy for sometime-- "chicago" style isn't even close to thicker styles in some parts of the country.

Real Italian pizza is cooked in a wood burning oven (very vey hot) and is out in a matter of about 90 seconds...

On 1/26/2019 at 8:16 PM, Texed said:

Well, that disqualifies MSC as a line we would go on. 😎

I dunno, Ed.  Just off the Solstice.  Got waffles fresh off the grill.  They really had not been cooked long enough.  They're not the stuff of legend they used to be.  And the orange butter was practically frozen.

Re the food:  I have cruised in suites on Celebrity and in YC on MSC.  In my view, Celebrity has better food overall.  Specialty restaurants:  Butcher's Cut on MSC was far superior to Tuscan on Celebrity.  Actually, I've never had a good meal in Tuscan and have quit going.  The risotto on MSC is excellent.  As is the gelato, which is not an upcharge like on Celebrity.  I was disappointed in the pizza on MSC in the main buffet area.  The pizza on Solstice last week was not good either.  Will try having the butler bring whole pizzas up to the pool bar in the fall in the YC and see if that's better.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:54 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Pizza was allegedly invented in Napoli, but it was perfected in New York [one style] and Chicago [a different, but equal, style].  I have never had pizza in Italy that measured to up to NY or Chicago standards.  NYers and Chicagoans know that you don't eat Pizza from Dominos or Pizza Hut – it has to be a hold-in-the-wall place named 'Angelos' or something like that!

Ours is Gianorio's, but we are Chicago suburb, and has to be the thin crust!  Not a fan of deep dish "Chicago" style pizza!  And squares not wedge's!!  Funny the little differences make the it all the better!

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Will try having the butler bring whole pizzas up to the pool bar in the fall in the YC and see if that's better.

Just so you know, you don't have to do this. Every day on YC, they bring out fresh pizza on the pool deck at the little buffet there. IIRC, it was 3 or 4 pm. We discovered this by happy accident one day and then dropped by regularly for the rest of the cruise!

6 hours ago, helenb said:

Just so you know, you don't have to do this. Every day on YC, they bring out fresh pizza on the pool deck at the little buffet there. IIRC, it was 3 or 4 pm. We discovered this by happy accident one day and then dropped by regularly for the rest of the cruise!

Never saw this in my time in YC.  And I would want the pizza for lunch.  So I think we'll stick with the original plan.  Thanks.