Things to do close to pier???

lcantw3658

I'll be there in August. The family members I'm traveling with are notoriously thrifty and will not spend money on tours. Typically they will only do whatever is available at the pier or a short walk and a nice lunch. 

Is there anything to do if we stay close to the pier?? Shops, restaurants? 

We'll be sailing with carnival if that makes a difference. 

Thank you for any assistance 

The port is right in the middle of Havana, so there are lots of sights nearby that you can walk to.  Likewise, many good restaurants.  I would suggest looking on Trip[ Adviser for specific suggestions of nearby restaurants and what you can see near the port.

Haven't been yet but look into strawberry tours. They operate on a "tip as you see fit" amount and they have great reviews. It's what I plan on doing for my September trip. Or...you can always ditch the family and do what YOU want to do, lol.

• Thanks 1

If you stay close to the pier, you’re not going to get a true sense of Havana. Nevertheless, if that’s what you want to do there are shops and restaurants in walking distance.  Also a few of their squares are in walking distance and from one you can take great pictures of the fort across the bay. For inexpensive souvenirs, there is a market that’s only about a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal. We turned left out of the terminal and it was a short walk down on the water side. 

If you do decide to venture out, there are vintage car taxis all over and you can negotiate a price in advance. 

We were just there Thursday and Friday and had an amazing experience. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2019 at 12:32 PM, KimberlyC said:

If you stay close to the pier, you’re not going to get a true sense of Havana. Nevertheless, if that’s what you want to do there are shops and restaurants in walking distance.  Also a few of their squares are in walking distance and from one you can take great pictures of the fort across the bay. For inexpensive souvenirs, there is a market that’s only about a 5 minute walk from the cruise terminal. We turned left out of the terminal and it was a short walk down on the water side. 

If you do decide to venture out, there are vintage car taxis all over and you can negotiate a price in advance. 

We were just there Thursday and Friday and had an amazing experience. 

This is great information.  We are taking a morning tour with Strawberry and plan to hang around near the port the rest of the day.

One of the best sights we visited during our stay in Cuba was only about a five minute walk from the pier in Havana.  "Palacio de los Capitanes Generales Casa de gobierno" was the palace that the Spanish governors ruled Cuba from and the place contained magnificent treasures and was a truly interesting place to visit.  My wife and I enjoyed it immensely and learned quite a bit about Cuban history.  Also, if I recall correctly, the admission was only $3 CUC.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palacio+de+los+Capitanes+Generales+Casa+de+gobierno/@23.1398484,-82.3523843,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88cd79a8d6909d83:0x7d19cf0ce8315595!8m2!3d23.1398484!4d-82.3501903

Edited by Cary Cruiser
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Cary Cruiser said:

One of the best sights we visited during our stay in Cuba was only about a five minute walk from the pier in Havana.  "Palacio de los Capitanes Generales Casa de gobierno" was the palace that the Spanish governors ruled Cuba from and the place contained magnificent treasures and was a truly interesting place to visit.  My wife and I enjoyed it immensely and learned quite a bit about Cuban history.  Also, if I recall correctly, the admission was only $3 CUC.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Palacio+de+los+Capitanes+Generales+Casa+de+gobierno/@23.1398484,-82.3523843,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x88cd79a8d6909d83:0x7d19cf0ce8315595!8m2!3d23.1398484!4d-82.3501903

Thank you, this seems perfect.

• 1 month later...

Strawberry Tours are only offered on set days/times of the week.   They are also not “free”.  They are tip your guide what you feel is appropriate. Most people tip $10/person.    Strawberry will arrange a private walking tour at a date/time you set for $90 for a group up to 10 people I believe.   Not sure how many in your group so this could average out to a fair per person cost.  

You could walk to the Art Market.   Take a left out of terminal and approx 10 min’ish walk.   At the market there are usually lots of coco cabs.  They are very inexpensive.  Ask them to give you a ride up/down the Malecon.   Negotiate for approx 7-8 CUC’s per CoCo Cab each direction.   Maybe have them drop you on the Malecon for a stroll and then grab another Coco cab back.    Relatively inexpensive option and get to see a bit more! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 10:15 AM, cpayne said:

Strawberry Tours are only offered on set days/times of the week.   They are also not “free”.  They are tip your guide what you feel is appropriate. Most people tip $10/person.    Strawberry will arrange a private walking tour at a date/time you set for $90 for a group up to 10 people I believe.   Not sure how many in your group so this could average out to a fair per person cost.  

You could walk to the Art Market.   Take a left out of terminal and approx 10 min’ish walk.   At the market there are usually lots of coco cabs.  They are very inexpensive.  Ask them to give you a ride up/down the Malecon.   Negotiate for approx 7-8 CUC’s per CoCo Cab each direction.   Maybe have them drop you on the Malecon for a stroll and then grab another Coco cab back.    Relatively inexpensive option and get to see a bit more! 

This sounds great!  How long does it take for the coco cab to get to the malevon?

Depends on where on the Malecon you want to go.  You can check distances via google maps.   Ship terminal to Hotel Nacional (overlooks the Malecon) is 5 km or 8 min by car according to G Maps.  So by CoCo cab I would say 10-15 min.   

I recommend downloading the Havana map from G Maps to use offline when you are there.  Works without internet. Very helpful, but keep in mind the map is only available for 30 days offline.  Don’t download to your phone too soon prior to departure. 

Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cpayne said:

Depends on where on the Malecon you want to go.  You can check distances via google maps.   Ship terminal to Hotel Nacional (overlooks the Malecon) is 5 km or 8 min by car according to G Maps.  So by CoCo cab I would say 10-15 min.   

I recommend downloading the Havana map from G Maps to use offline when you are there.  Works without internet. Very helpful, but keep in mind the map is only available for 30 days offline.  Don’t download to your phone too soon prior to departure. 

Hope this helps! 

Exacting what I was looking for.  Thanks!