Oman visa

janieb1962

Hi  We are on the gulf cruise shortly.

i emailed PO customer services the following question 

I have read in my documentation that a visa is required to go ashore in Oman. It states that P&O are usually able to issue these on board. 
Please  can you confirm this and also what the cost will be of issuing the visa will be

their reply was not that helpful (see below)

As we are not trained to give this information due to the variance in requirements. I would recommend contacting the relevant embassy or consulate for advice. Alternatively you can contact our recommended visa service CIBT on 0207 620 6487 for advise on Visa's. 
You will need to have Visas prior to travel. Please be sure to check your itinerary and obtain the visas required for the specific countries you will be visiting during your cruise. Visas are required when embarking/ disembarking or staying on board

Anyone been to Oman via a p&o cruise before and have any info re the visa process .

the CIBT link doesn't mention anything . 

Happy to get a visa in advance if required but wondered if this was something P&O would sort on board 

We have done this cruise twice previously, with Celebrity and Costa cruises. On both occasions a small charge was added to our on board account ( sorry, don’t remember how much) and it was handled by the cruise lines. Would guess the same will apply to P and O, hope that someone can give you a definite answer. Enjoy your cruise, and don’t miss the Mosque in Abu Dhabi. The dress restrictions are strictly enforced for Ladies, but well worth the effort.

You've got me worried now because P&O told me on the phone that they'd sort the visa for Oman, however following is from the CIBT web site which would appear to indicate that they are done on board:

"Certain countries allow P&O Cruises to acquire group entry visas for all guests on board the ship.  

An additional cost may be incurred for the provision of this service which will be added to your shipboard account.

Visas not required, or obtained on arrival when arriving on board a P&O cruise ship:

Cambodia, Cape Verde, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Oman, Papua New Guinea, UAE, Vietnam"

I'm going to drop CIBT an e-mail and I'll let you know what they come back with.

We are visiting Oman on a cruise in Feb. - my understanding from other cruise forums is a Visa is not required for Oman if you arrive and depart on the cruise ship (the cruise company will organises the Visa as part of the passenger manifest) - the only time a Visa is needed is if you fly into or out of Oman to either meet the ship or finish the holiday.

hope this helps

Interestingly this from P & O FAQs pages:

"Visa stamps for Oman are compulsory and will be issued upon the ship’s arrival by the local Port Authorities, whether you are staying on board or going ashore. There is currently no charge for the visa stamp."

It seems to me that the OP may have received a "stock" answer from P & O concerning visas and they haven't addressed the specific enquiry.

I think we've already had the answer thanks to some definitive replies from those with experience, but for info I had the following back from CIBT today:

Dear P&O Guest

Thank you for your enquiry. We update information on a daily basis and, as you have seen, for Oman a UK citizen is dealt with by P&O on-board or on arrival. 

If you want to check again closer to travel and indeed look at any other countries, to ensure you get the correct information, please simply follow the link below to the P&O Cruises visa portal:

https://cibtvisas.co.uk/tourkits?bookmark=1&login=pocruises

On 1/27/2019 at 11:49 AM, janieb1962 said:

Hi  We are on the gulf cruise shortly.

i emailed PO customer services the following question 

I have read in my documentation that a visa is required to go ashore in Oman. It states that P&O are usually able to issue these on board. 
Please  can you confirm this and also what the cost will be of issuing the visa will be

their reply was not that helpful (see below)

As we are not trained to give this information due to the variance in requirements. I would recommend contacting the relevant embassy or consulate for advice. Alternatively you can contact our recommended visa service CIBT on 0207 620 6487 for advise on Visa's. 
You will need to have Visas prior to travel. Please be sure to check your itinerary and obtain the visas required for the specific countries you will be visiting during your cruise. Visas are required when embarking/ disembarking or staying on board

Anyone been to Oman via a p&o cruise before and have any info re the visa process .

the CIBT link doesn't mention anything . 

Happy to get a visa in advance if required but wondered if this was something P&O would sort on board 

We were charged about $15 each on RCI on our on board account.This was charged whether you get off the ship or not.

The ship had our passports and they had Oman stamps stamped in them when we got them back.