The “B” or NOT the “B”: U by Uniworld route cancelled, recommendations needed

orchid2010

My hubby and I were booked on the Seine cruise from Paris on “The B” for May, but learned early yesterday that U by Uniworld has cancelled all cruises on that ship and route. We have options, with alternatives on their sister ship “The A”, but only one route had a availability on our travel dates, the route from Regensburg to Budapest. Advice would be appreciated on flights, as we have non-refundable tickets on Iceland Air - we can change our flight plans at a significant fare increase, but as far as I can tell they don’t fly out of Budapest. Does anyone have advice on reasonable ways to travel from Budapest to Munich? We can change our tickets to round-trip from Munich, but I have not traveled in this part of Europe before and could use some recommendations. We do have travel insurance, so worst case scenario we could file a claim and book different flights, but I would prefer not to do that if possible. Thanks everyone!

There is a direct train service from Munich Airport to Regensburg, then taxi to ship.

From Budapest to Munich, there is either train (direct connection takes about 6 hours, change at Munich Main Station for Airport) or flight (direct connection takes about 1.25 hours and prices start at €125).

Check ou this site about European trains:

https://www.seat61.com/

Separate issue, but I hope you've asked your TA to get on Uniworld to refund you any change fees that are a result of their itinerary change. Often (IME) when a cruise ship company cancels an itinerary they do make an effort to refund those fees as a show of good faith to the customer.

We toured around Bavaria after our cruise ended in Nuremberg and then flew Lufthansa from Munich to Budapest for our flight home a couple of years ago. It was quite easy (and inexpensive, although we were able to use miles to book the one-way flight.)

Do you have a TA? Is there any possibility Uniworld will switch you to the Joie de Vivre? When our Rhone cruise was canceled, our TA was able to get Uniworld to switch us to the Seine cruise, and was able to get not only our change fees paid for, but our upgrade fees on the airline (for premium economy) which were nonrefundable and non transferable.

Robin