Vaccinations

Greek islands

According to the CDC a range are recommended - Hep A and B, Typhoid, Cholera and Rabies.  But the actual risk will (presumably) be lower from a cruise ship than, say, backpacking.  You do need a yellow fever certificate for some destinations. Probably worth speaking to your Physician or travel consultant.

To put this is perspective the CDC recommends that travelers to the UK also get Hep A and B, Rabies (really odd as there has not been a case of Rabies in wild mammals in the UK since the 1970's) Polio (also eradicated here) and the MMR,

I think they might be over cautious!

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Go to your surgery, with your itinerary, and the nurse will advise on what is required for you as individuals; you may have current medical conditions that may require particular vaccinations. It always worth checking.

Totally agree.

My husband and I have just been to the Liverpool School of tropical medicine who recommended yellow fever for Brazil as there have been more outbreaks there in 2018 we are also getting hepatitis a from our local surgery .better safe than sorry .

It is always a good idea to go to a travel clinic and get the recommended vaccinations. As people have said before, better safe than sorry.

Having just got back from South America on a cruise that went from Lima to Brazil, the only recommended vaccination was for Yellow Fever because we were going into the jungle, as well as visiting Iguazu Falls. The risk is low in the coastal cities.

However, we were never asked to produce any sort of vaccination certificate. The authorities were more interested in our visas than medical documents.

If you are over 65, some doctors will recommend against the vaccination because the possible side effects pose a greater risk than catching the disease. Your doctor will advise you accordingly.

I had no reaction to the vaccine, and have some fantastic memories from the trip.

I am glad, in the U.S., we can get all vaccinations that are required for travel.   No mention has ever been made of our age.    We also had to take anti malaria tablets through our sailing on the Amazon.  Have not heard of a rabies vaccine except for our dogs or cats but I would gladly have the vaccine if it was offered.  We do have rabies in the U.S., usually in wild animals who can bite our animals.   Folks have been bit and have to have a series of painful shots.   If you have a compromised immune system you would not get the vaccines and you probably don’t want the further risk your health by traveling.