TRAVEL INSURANCE..YEA OR NAY

cuddles115

There is an article in Forbes Magazine, August 8, 2018, that provides some guidance and review. I found it through a very fast search. That said, I think that, given our respective ages (I'm 63) and overall health (potential for something bad happening), I can't see going without coverage. You can usually dial in how much you want to spend (and with whom) for the level of coverage and risk that you want to assume.

A comprehensive travel insurance policy covering not only medical expenses (including emergency medivac) but also trip cancellation, lost luggage, etc is worth every cent IMO. There are plenty of providers and choices so shop/ask around. 

I’m always bemused that people happily spend tens of thousands on a luxury cruise, but flinch at paying a fraction of that on insurance that might save them tens of thousands more. Think of it as part of the price of your cruise, although the peace of mind is priceless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cuddles115 said:

My biggest concern is if there's a medical emergency and I have to be airlifted to the USA.  I've looked at a number of companies and am more confused. I need help.

Your travel angent would be helpful in helping you get the best one for you.  

The underwriter to my bank's Visa Card Travel insurance cover,  came up with a no problems outcome when we had to cancel travel due to a sudden medical situation.

Check the percentage of your travel required to be purchased on your card  , to entitle you to cover /claim, as banks seem to vary on this requirement.

Also, check the maximum limits on such insurance.  We have used our credit card travel unsurance for non-cruise issues, but we have a maximum limit of $10,000 which would not cover cancellation costs for both of us for most of our cruises.

• Like 1

Another vote for med jet.  If we are hospitalized we are going home. That was most important to us.

On a cruise two years ago I developed an infection which nearly went septic.  The dr bill on board was nearly 2k before he stopped charging me.  Travel Guard sent a check before the credit card bill arrived. 

Bonus - cruiseline used my non refundable credit of 800.00 or so towards the medical bill

And another Travel Insurance article, just posted. I just learned of this site, so I can't vouch for accuracy or content https://upgradedpoints.com/best-travel-insurance-companies/. That said, this thread is very good and informative: I've learned of Medjet and I've now "paid" attention to the potential coverage through the credit card (as long as you pay for the  trip on the single card)..

On 1/28/2019 at 9:56 AM, cuddles115 said:

My biggest concern is if there's a medical emergency and I have to be airlifted to the USA.  I've looked at a number of companies and am more confused. I need help.

I found Blue Cross's Geoblue plan to the economical at $120 pp per year.  It gives us 180 days coverage per calendar year and covers most everything medical overseas including emergency evacuation back to the USA.  I was using Travel Guard's yearly policy for similar coverage but it was twice the price.  We were using Travel Guard for trip cancellation insurance (before my father in law passed away).  At approx. 8% of the total trip cost it was pricey.

We have several cards that offer trip cancellation insurance.  We use the one of the highest limit for the cruise itself.  Some times we self-insure for the difference between the limit and the cost of the cruise.  We then use the other cards for air fare and hotels.  A little more planning, but it works out fine.  

Medical evacuation coverage is more comprehensive with Medjet, but I will check out Geoblue before our next renewal. 

I've been told by my travel agent (who is very experienced) that if you die on a cruise your survivors have huge problems, financial and practical. And she has had clients who died or became critically ill. But with an appropriate insurance policy, a lot of the problems are taken care of. Great peace of mind. I hate insurance, most people do, and yes it's a profit center for travel agents. But the one time you need it is the one time you better have it. LittleRedJohn