Magen’s Bay - Chairs and Umbrellas?

DeRon

On 1/31/2019 at 6:22 AM, imapost2003 said:

Beautiful!!!  Do they have food and drink service there? 

i was there a couple weeks ago. My wife and I rented chairs and an umbrella.  They had a nifty little square pouch at the base filled with sand so they dont fly away.IMG_1557.thumb.JPG.880640698c1a968fd35dcde8ce46945d.JPGIMG_1562.thumb.JPG.17c814be1cccb0cf228be93228cea34e.JPG

Edited by murphfam4

Just got back. They now rent beach chairs, lounges, and umbrellas. There is a small beach snack bar and a beach bar, and washrooms/changerooms. Cost of two lounges plus an umbrella was $26 (lounges $8 each, + $10 umbrella). You can pay for this with credit card, but there is also a $30 deposit, which must be cash. Admission to the beach is $5 pp, taxi from the cruise port is $10 pp. No charge for washroom/changerooms.

Along with the umbrella, you get the little sandbag kit: a piece of tarp, a tube to make a hole in the sand for the umbrella, and a small shovel to fill up the tarp with sand. It's kind of fun.

BTW, the beach staff do not move chairs or the umbrella for you -- you have to drag or carry them yourself.

• Like 2

I've just got back too and can confirm what Pepperwood said.  The beach staff will drag your beds and umbrella to a spot for you for a tip - we gave him $5 and it was well worth it.  We got to the beach at 10.30am and it was very crowded and our beds had to be dragged quite a way along to find space for them.  It's a lovely beach but was far too crowded on the day we went.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mim Lloyd said:

I've just got back too and can confirm what Pepperwood said.  The beach staff will drag your beds and umbrella to a spot for you for a tip - we gave him $5 and it was well worth it.  We got to the beach at 10.30am and it was very crowded and our beds had to be dragged quite a way along to find space for them.  It's a lovely beach but was far too crowded on the day we went.

How many ships were in port on that day?

Five.  We arrived on the Silhouette at 8.00am together with another ship, and one more an hour later. Two other ships had arrived at 7.00am.  Although Magen's is a lovely beach it really was far too crowded for us, loungers and umbrellas practically touching each other.  It was a good job that you can tip the beach guys to drag your loungers as we had to go a long way to find a spot to put them.  We had to drag them back ourselves which I didn't enjoy!

Thanks for this thread - it's been very helpful! I haven't been to Magen's Bay in 8 years, so I was curious what has changed or remained the same.

We'll be there in April onboard the Nieuw Statendam, and so far there's only one other ship scheduled to be in port that day (the Koningsdam). Since neither of these are mega ships, I'm hoping it won't be too crowded? Does it still require us to get there super early in the morning do you think? We dock at 8am and I was hoping to head over around 10 or so...

On 2/5/2019 at 8:02 PM, Pepperwood said:

Just got back. They now rent beach chairs, lounges, and umbrellas. There is a small beach snack bar and a beach bar, and washrooms/changerooms. Cost of two lounges plus an umbrella was $26 (lounges $8 each, + $10 umbrella). You can pay for this with credit card, but there is also a $30 deposit, which must be cash. Admission to the beach is $5 pp, taxi from the cruise port is $10 pp. No charge for washroom/changerooms.

Along with the umbrella, you get the little sandbag kit: a piece of tarp, a tube to make a hole in the sand for the umbrella, and a small shovel to fill up the tarp with sand. It's kind of fun.

BTW, the beach staff do not move chairs or the umbrella for you -- you have to drag or carry them yourself.

How did you get there from the pier? Our ship is only there from 7am - 2pm. There are 5 ship scheduled to be in port that day, However, I think we are the first to arrive. If you took a taxi, could you tell me how much it was? Thanks so much!

We just took a taxi, there are dispatchers right on the pier. It was $10 pp from Crown Bay, I believe it is the same from Havensight. It is a 15-minute ride, but generally the taxi will not leave until most if not all the seats are full. There are always taxis waiting to take people back (again, $10 pp). The only thing I'm not sure of is when the beach opens for admission in the morning.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...