Travel from Cape Liberty to NYC for sightseeing

kjk1203

We are driving from Michigan to Cape Liberty the end of March on Anthem of the Seas.  We will be staying at a hotel the night before the ship leaves.  However, when we get off the ship we would like to spend the day in NYC to sightsee (central park, time square, 9/11 memorial) before we head home.  Since we will start our drive home later that night, where would be a good place to park for the day?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I’d just park in Manhattan in an area by the sights you plan on seeing. We use the parking panda app, so we book ahead of time and have GPS lead us right to th3 entrance. SUV’s and minivans get charged an extra $15, I believe.

The issue is that the 9/11 Memorial, Times Square and Central Park are not located close to each other so public transportation would be necessary. You can park at Port Authority Bus Terminal which is right next to Lincoln Tunnel so very little Manhattan driving and have easy access to subway down to 9/11, then take subway up to Central Park, then walk or take subway back to Times Square. When you’re done you’d have easy access to Lincoln Tunnel and all roads heading West. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

The issue is that the 9/11 Memorial, Times Square and Central Park are not located close to each other so public transportation would be necessary. You can park at Port Authority Bus Terminal which is right next to Lincoln Tunnel so very little Manhattan driving and have easy access to subway down to 9/11, then take subway up to Central Park, then walk or take subway back to Times Square. When you’re done you’d have easy access to Lincoln Tunnel and all roads heading West. 

Good point, I’d decide what area was the most important to me and explore that area, especially if I was planning on driving to Michigan after!

Thank you!  Your advice is very helpful since I have never been there.  We will be stopping once we get out of NY so we will have 12+ hours to explore, just don't want to stay in NYC because of the cost of hotels.  Always good to get a little head start on an 11 hr drive :-)  Thanks again!  Is there anything that you would recommend we don't miss out on seeing or doing? 

13 hours ago, kjk1203 said:

Thank you!  Your advice is very helpful since I have never been there.  We will be stopping once we get out of NY so we will have 12+ hours to explore, just don't want to stay in NYC because of the cost of hotels.  Always good to get a little head start on an 11 hr drive 🙂 Thanks again!  Is there anything that you would recommend we don't miss out on seeing or doing? 

I think it’s all about the top of the Empire State Building or Top of the Rock. I’m not a fan of Times Square as a destination. But The 9/11 Memorial is definitely worthwhile.