Cautiously asking...(afraid of being blasted)

CaribbeanJen

Was on the Escape two years ago. Highly recommend getting the Vibe passes if you can. Like your own little club. And the area just outside Vibe is good for sun as well. One day was so windy, we lounged in that area as it offered some protection from the wind. Overall was a nice ship

HIPPO

we were just on Jade and Getaway. Jade didn't have much in terms of family activities, but we enjoyed it for a whooping 3 days. My mom (late 60s) and my friends parents (late 70s) enjoyed it very much - just enough activities for them. The pool area was nicer than on Getaway - nowhere near as crowded. Jade was very subdued, but our problem with it was the smoke smell.

We are in our early 40s with elementary school age kids - we are not party people or high energy people. We like to have activities for the kids, but relaxing times for the adults.

Getaway offered a lot more in terms of family activities, so we liked it better, but we never felt like it was a megaship, like RCI's newest and biggest. Our kid enjoyed the water slides and some activities limited to kids, and we all enjoyed the rock climbing wall and the ropes course. I didn't feel it was crowded (unless you are in the buffet - the layout is atrocious), and it was a sold out cruise. The pool area was ridiculously small and LOUD. I mean - LOUD, when the music was blasting, so we went to the kid's pool area, which was surprisingly quiet and accommodating to our needs (reading and relaxing). :) So, I feel like this ship offered a nice balance between having some fun activities when you want them and downtime when you just want to read a book. Waterfront is also great for reading and relaxing, but you have to go on the non-smoking side.

I'd think you'll be happy with Breakaway, since she is a sister ship to Getaway. 

P.S. I think my parents enjoyed Regal Princess a bit more than Getaway, but that's just a hunch.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

The Breakway class have the waterfront which is a great place to hang out, get some sun and relax.  Quiet enough to fall asleep there.  The pool decks are pretty active to say the least.  The Dawn and Jewel classes are more traditional and have smaller crowds.  No waterfront either, but if you haven’t seen that before you won’t know what your missing.

We are in our 70's and have sailed the Getaway twice--we like the ship, especially the shows; Million Dollar Quartet especially.  We'd sail her again if the itinerary was changed.  We also enjoyed the Jewel a few years ago.

Since we sailed in early December, very few kids.  We always were able to find a nice place in the sun, but then we prefer not to be by the pool.  

With the VERY greatest of respect if you were willing to reserve in the Haven you wouldn't have to ask any of your questions and, frankly, unless you wanted to you wouldn't even suspect that "amusement park" as you are calling it is even on the ship.  But up to you.

Edited by Bootman4U

9 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

With the VERY greatest of respect if you were willing to reserve in the Haven you wouldn't have to ask any of your questions and, frankly, unless you wanted to you wouldn't even suspect that "amusement park" as you are calling it is even on the ship.  But up to you.

Not everyone can afford to “reserve” in the Haven.

• Like 1

I have to second the Waterfront, we probably spent more time there than any other place on the ship.  Even in cool weather the Waterfront is nice, and on sunny days, you can find places to sit in the sun, and there are even full-length sunbeds to use, or you can find shade on the other side.  Several of the bars have outside locations as well.  

I have been on the Getaway three times. I loved going to the thermal spa. Space is limited. You either must buy passes to the spa or stay in one of the spa cabins. I found it peaceful and relaxing. You cannot lie in the sun there (it is indoors) but the lounge chairs (both heated and not) are in front of floor to ceiling windows that look out over the water or sometimes the port you are in.

I think you will notice a more crowded feeling on the Escape compared to the other NCL ships you've been on.    I've been on all these ships.

You are correct, the Escape has a lot more stuff to do and it will attract the more active person, families.    But here's the thing.....yes, the Escape has water slides......2.    They aren't thrill seeker water slides, they are just....average water slides.    Anyone who's excited about the  water slides will be bored with these water slides after going down them 2 or 3 times.    Even the average teen will be bored after a few times.    But so, so much deck space.....prime sunning deck space is taken up by the slides and by the ropes course.   These adventure things take up so much pool deck space that it eats into the regular pool deck!     Then add in many, many more cruisers on the ship.  It makes the ship seem even more crowded than it is.

Also, I'd have to disagree with the poster that said you will be able to find a place in the sun to relax, maybe not on the pool deck but you can find a space.   This is most definitely not true unless you are cruising on a very slow week.   You said you're cruising in January, If its late January as in time that will not be school vacations the ship will not be at capacity.    But if you try to cruise the first or second week of January which are school vacation weeks or even MLK week which is another week people will pull kids out of school for......you will have a busy, full ship.   A full ship means there is no space you can just leisurely go find a lounger and enjoy the sun.    Not on the pool deck, not on any higher, less busy deck.   In my experience,  every lounger will have someone sitting in it or will be saved with someone's towel.    NCL does nothing to minimize the towel saving chair hogs.

There aren't enough loungers to go around, not nearly enough,  so chair hogging is the reality.

Then on the Escape, being more crowded, the sun loungers on any deck are pushed right up one to the next with only a few inches space in between.     It's not like that on the Pearl or the Spirit.    There is more individual space all around.    

I think if sun lounging is your priority and I get it, being from Buffalo that would be my major priority too!    If that's your priority, stick to the Pearl, Gem size ships.    Or if you can go on the Epic and upgrade to a Haven Suite, so you can enjoy the amazing POSH pool deck this would be my preference for extreme sun lounging!     

The Escape like NCL's other mega ships is designed to appeal to the masses.    Its designed to pack em in, it's designed to attract the thrill seekers (which will get on the ship, do the ropes course one time and then ho hum) it's designed to appeal to all people.     But the older, smaller ships which are still really nice are designed for a nice day of cruising, get your lounger, enjoying the sun.    

Edited by Vyhanek
Reason for editing?.....I'll edit if I want to.

I didn't read all the post. My favorite ships are the Jewel Class: Dawn, Star, Jewel, Pearl etc... have been on all of these ships. I have also been on the Epic, Getaway and Escape. The larger ships were packed but I booked us in the Haven so when it was too crazy we just went back to the Haven. Having said all this I have to admit the larger ships had a lot more to do and turned out to be a lot of fun!

Either way I love cruising so much if my only choice was an inside stateroom on the largest ship I would go 🙂

Edited by cmjars