Itinerary Decisions: Messina vs Catania

itsanita

We are in the process of choosing our next cruise.  Trying to make some decisions about the itinerary.  Both stop in Sicily, but one is Messina, the other is Catania.   Also one stops in Valetta, Malta,  the other does not.  So I'm looking for some thoughts and suggestions.  Are any of these stops,  in your opinion, better than the other....any 'not to be missed'? 

First, let me say I'm a big fan of Valletta as a stop. It has a gorgeous sail-in, and the town is right at the port, very easy to get around, and has lots to see and do.

As to your other question, you could do Taormina and/or Mt. Etna from either Catania or Messina, but Catania also gives you other options. If you have been to Taormina before, I would suggest that Catania is better, and from there take a tour or excursion to Siracusa and Ortygia. If you haven't, I think it's a toss up as to which one.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, cruisemom42 said:

First, let me say I'm a big fan of Valletta as a stop. It has a gorgeous sail-in, and the town is right at the port, very easy to get around, and has lots to see and do.

As to your other question, you could do Taormina and/or Mt. Etna from either Cthankatania or Messina, but Catania also gives you other options. If you have been to Taormina before, I would suggest that Catania is better, and from there take a tour or excursion to Siracusa and Ortygia. If you haven't, I think it's a toss up as to which one.

Thanks for sharing the info.  Trying to make a more informed decision than I've done on some past cruises!! LOL

Valletta is one of my favourite ports for beauty and easy diy attractions. We’ve been there twice as well as Messina. On our last trip we drove to Taormina and it was great. We enjoyed the “vibe” in Valletta and Taormina.