FAO Bonnie - Pursuit Rio to Lisbon- Yellow Fever certificate??

workingtocruise-59

Hello Bonnie

There has been much debate on the Roll Call for Rio to Lisbon 20th March 2019 as to whether we need a Yellow Fever certificate/Exemption certificate to board or to leave the ship in Cape Verde.

It would appear that the Cape Verde authorities require anyone arriving from Brazil to have such a certificate.

There is nothing in the Azamara information to suggest that this is mandatory.

Many of those on this sailing will be over 60 and the YV vaccination is generally not recommended for this age group and many more will not have access to CC and not have this information.

Would you please clarify the situation?

Many thanks.

Hi working to cruise.

You can check the official response by going to CDC atlanta in the US and the foreign office in the uk.  These are both up to date on entry requirements.  

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list/

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

You could also search here.....

https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/a-z-index

If you are in any doubt get the vaccination.  There was a recent case of a well known oncologist who didnt get vaccinated and died after being bitten.  You cant get this vaccine on NHS tho,  but worth the money IMO.  David

Edited by 150edmiston

Just to draw your attention to the details of the doctor’s death.  The posted article (which is my only source) does state the death followed the vaccination, not that it was caused by the vaccine. A causal link was not established. It recommends discussing the situation with a doctor - always a good idea: 

Hi, following with interest.  One of the links that 150edmiston kindly supplied doesn't mention if you arrive by cruise ship but it does mention if your transit through the airport in Cape Verde is greater than 12 hours you need a yellow fever clearance certificate.  However on checking we are in port for 10 hours. It would be nice to have something official as Cape Verde isn't even mention on our Australian Smart Traveller warnings page.

10 minutes ago, aussie travel bird said:

Hi, following with interest.  One of the links that 150edmiston kindly supplied doesn't mention if you arrive by cruise ship but it does mention if your transit through the airport in Cape Verde is greater than 12 hours you need a yellow fever clearance certificate.  However on checking we are in port for 10 hours. It would be nice to have something official as Cape Verde isn't even mention on our Australian Smart Traveller warnings page.

Hi Jenny

Yes, I am completely confused about this! If I had known about YF in Brazil then I would never have booked this cruise!!

There were absolutely no problems on our last Malaga to Rio cruise but, obviously, the situation has changed since then.

Regardless we are looking forward to seeing you both again in Rio in about five weeks!

Angela

Edited by workingtocruise-59

On 2/8/2019 at 2:23 PM, workingtocruise-59 said:

Hello Bonnie

There has been much debate on the Roll Call for Rio to Lisbon 20th March 2019 as to whether we need a Yellow Fever certificate/Exemption certificate to board or to leave the ship in Cape Verde.

It would appear that the Cape Verde authorities require anyone arriving from Brazil to have such a certificate.

There is nothing in the Azamara information to suggest that this is mandatory.

Many of those on this sailing will be over 60 and the YV vaccination is generally not recommended for this age group and many more will not have access to CC and not have this information.

Would you please clarify the situation?

Many thanks.

I'll see what I can find out for you tomorrow, Monday. Though I'm wondering if it is standard practice for us/any cruise line to give advice on vaccinations? Just asking what your past experience is?

14 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

I'll see what I can find out for you tomorrow, Monday. Though I'm wondering if it is standard practice for us/any cruise line to give advice on vaccinations? Just asking what your past experience is?

Hi Bonnie

Many thanks for your response.

No past experience  - the last time we arrived in Rio on the Quest YF was not a problem.

I am not expecting advice about vaccinations but just assurance that we will be able to board the ship in Rio / leave the ship in Cape Verde without a YF certificate or YF waiver.

Thank you

Edited by workingtocruise-59

31 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

This is still being researched. Sorry for the delay.

Thank you, Bonnie.

We are also doing our own research. The UK Honorary Consul to Cape Verde responded today stating that he did not think that there were any mandatory vaccination certificates required for Cape Verde but that I should check with the nearest Embassy ( In our case, this is Brussels) and I am still awaiting their response.

18 minutes ago, workingtocruise-59 said:

Thank you, Bonnie.

We are also doing our own research. The UK Honorary Consul to Cape Verde responded today stating that he did not think that there were any mandatory vaccination certificates required for Cape Verde but that I should check with the nearest Embassy ( In our case, this is Brussels) and I am still awaiting their response.

We followed the same route and are also waiting for a reply from Brussels.

Dear Bonnie

It is now 10 days since the question was raised regarding problems associated with the yellow fever vaccination requirements and still no official response from Azamara to put our minds at rest particularly for those of us who are over 60 for which the vaccination is not recommended. The manufacturers of the vaccine clearly state in their product information that due to a potentially higher risk of yellow fever vaccine-associated severe and potentially fatal disease in persons from 60 years of age, the vaccine should only be given when it is considered that there is a significant and unavoidable risk of acquiring yellow fever infection.

You will note from the roll call for upcoming cruise Rio to Lisbon, that there has been much discussion regarding this issue with no definitive and reassuring comment or input from Azamara. We have discussed the matter at our GP practice and we have decided that due to our age and that we will not be travelling where there is a significant and unavoidable risk, we will not have the vaccination and a note to this effect has been annotated on our GP records to conform with the requirements of our Insurance company.

The question of "where there is a significant and unavoidable risk" poses the dilemma of determining what areas we are likely to visit that could apply especially on shore excursions whether booked through Azamara or privately. We still have not had an answer from Azamara to the question of whether or not we require a Yellow Fever exemption certificate on boarding or exiting the vessel in Brazil or Cape Verde.

With just over three weeks before we leave for Rio please Bonnie, can we have a definitive answer to the questions raised ASAP?

Many thanks again for your help on this Forum

David and Julia

I strongly echo David and Julia’s post. My husband’s GP practice automatically gave him a letter saying he couldn’t have the vaccine, my practice is making a fuss about it. After 4 sea days, with 3 more afterwards, I’m very muchbhoping to disembark for the day in Cape Verde. However, we do have an independent tour booked in Rio and it’s going to be nigh impossible to know where the significant risk may be around the city. Yes, we’ll use Deet to avoid being bitten but the Health Insurance must not be compromised. 

What to do?

Just FYI everyone, a friend of mine is on this cruise and asked me whether I thought the Yellow Fever vaccination was actually needed. I am a GP. 

I had no real idea but asked a friend of mine, also a Doctor. She runs a Travel Clinic in the UK. She said that Yes, it was advised. There have been several tourists affected by Yellow Fever in an island near Rio recently. It is endemic to the area and we would have no natural immunity so much better not to take the risk of infection. 

I think it is much better to take advice from the experts in Travel Clinics, rather than your local GP, who like me, may have no real idea of whether the vaccination is necessary or just advised. 

Thanks Lottie, but actually that makes me a little scared. Being over 60 we’re advised not to have the vaccine. At a cost of £27.00. ($36.00) I now have letter saying that it is contra-indicated for me. I guess I’ll be using lots of Deet!

This is a correspondence from my travel agent, she reached out to Azamara and yesterday I got a response 

Hi Jennifer, Azamara has advised that yellow fever shots are not required.  They recommend them, but do not make it mandatory.  If your own doctor cannot provide them or recommend who can, Azamara suggested this website for additional information:

http://wwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

Regards,

Hilarie

- EXTERNAL EMAIL - 

Hi Hilarie, 

I’m sailing on Azamara Pursuit Rio to Lisbon 3/20/19, there has been a lot of discussion about yellow fever shots being required for this sailing.  I can’t find a MD that has this available.  Would you be able to contact Azamara and get a answer as to whether a yellow fever shot is required to sail?

Thank you

Jennifer S.

jj6961 is correct. Although I have seen communications back and forth, and it seems there is a little bit of worry about conditions changing. Cape Verde is very strict, and can't blame a small island culture for being protective. 

That's has what has been bothering me about responding definitively. 

But now that our Customer Service says 'not required' I'll concur.

We are also on the Mar 20 TA & will not be getting the YF shot . We were on an Az cruise in 2015 from Rio to Miami & Travel clinic Dr advised against it.  We have a Certificate of Medical Contraindication to Vacccination issued by him stating ...risk of adverse event from YF vaccine outweighs any benefit.  Our health issues have not changed & we have of course  gotten older ....hence our decision to not get the shot for this  trip either. At that time it was necessary due to a port stop in French Guyana.  Note we were never asked to produce proof of vaccine or the certificate stating no vaccine . The decision as to whether or not to get is a personal decision .  As for us we opted not to .  Also as we have visited all the Brazil ports before will most likely stay onboard.

Tom & Sharon