Single Passenger Booking Question

DH, DD(5), and myself are booked on Allure OTS for a July 2019 cruise. My brother has indicated interest in joining us. He is single and would traveling by himself. So we thought about moving DD to his room for reservation purposes so his fare would be cheaper. However, DD would still sleep in our room. Is that possible? We would tip room stewards appropriately. What other things do I need to think about? 

Thanks! (This is our first time cruising with a child)

One problem is that rather than a cabin rated for three, you would be in a cabin for two, thus nowhere for your daughter to sleep. Unless the other cabin is in the same muster area, your daughter could be in a different muster station. Otherwise, it would be a money saver. 

Yes.  Once on board no one cares who sleeps where.  However, your cabin may not have a bed for a third person.  You would need to book a 3-person cabin for yourself.  Your daughter might be small enough to sleep on the couch in a 2-person cabin, but she would be more comfortable on a sofa bed.  Three person cabins sometimes have a Pullman bunk, but they are not recommended for children under 6.  

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

How would his fare be cheaper? Wouldn't you have to pay full price for your daughter

If he sails solo he would have to pay solo price for his cabin, usually the same price as a double.  If the daughter were in his cabin then he and the daughter would be the standard price for a couple. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

13 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

If he sails solo he would have to pay solo price for his cabin, usually the same price as a double.  If the daughter were in his cabin then he and the daughter would be the standard price for a couple. 

Ok, but how does that save any money?

The girl is already booked on the ship.  Either free or at a 3rd passenger rate.  That should be cheaper than paying full price

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

The girl is already booked on the ship.  Either free or at a 3rd passenger rate.  That should be cheaper than paying full price

Not overall.  Cabin one 2 full price and one 3rd passenger rate plus Cabin two with one passenger is the same as 2 passengers so cost would be for 4 full price plus one third person.

Switching means 4 people at full price saving the third person rate and brother could give back the difference they are paying so basically he is paying for 1 1/2 persons and the family is still paying original amount.

OP - we did cabin shuffling on our cruise in December but for a different reason, we needed someone 21 booked in each cabin.  Just make sure you select your cabin instead of a guarantee and get one that takes 3 people.  Make sure you know what kind of bed is available for the third person.  We had a sofa that pulled out for our two kids.  We went to guest services right away and got extra cabin keys.  They had the 1st person in the cabin name on them and also said extra key so there was no confusion.  I had two cards and so did my daughter's friend. 

18 minutes ago, HOSKI said:

Not overall.  Cabin one 2 full price and one 3rd passenger rate plus Cabin two with one passenger is the same as 2 passengers so cost would be for 4 full price plus one third person.

Switching means 4 people at full price saving the third person rate and brother could give back the difference they are paying so basically he is paying for 1 1/2 persons and the family is still paying original amount.

Sorry I still dont see how there is any savings.

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Sorry I still dont see how there is any savings.

examples only cabin 1 2 adults @$1000 and 1 3rd person at $500 = $2500

cabin 2 solo so $1000 x 2 = $2000               TOTAL COST $4500

cabin 1 2 adults @ $1000 = $2000

cabin 2 2 adults @ 1000 = @2000       TOTAL COST $4000

And hopefully the brother gives the family $500 so he ends up with his cruise for $1500 instead of $2000 and they still pay $2500. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

OP said originally that they wanted to save the brother money.  Unless it’s a kids sail free cruise, they would have to pay for their daughter.  Admittedly her 3rd person rate would be cheaper for them; however the brother would be paying double.   Hoski explained it well in post 9.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

OP said originally that they wanted to save the brother money.  Unless it’s a kids sail free cruise, they would have to pay for their daughter.  Admittedly her 3rd person rate would be cheaper for them; however the brother would be paying double.   Hoski explained it well in post 9.  

I clicked the thank you button

• Like 1