Gluten-free in Blu (Equinox)?

WrittenOnYourHeart

I've just made the switch from a previously booked Disney Magic 4-night Western cruise to a 7-night Eastern cruise on the Equinox embarking a year from today! Super excited as this will be my first time on Celebrity!

I'm booked in Aqua Class as it was not that much more than what I was paying on DCL for an obstructed balcony (plus I love the rooms like the Persian Gardens, so not having to pay for that more than makes up the difference to me). I know that as Aqua Class I'll be eating dinners in Blu and can eat breakfast in there as well. I've looked at some menus I've found and don't see any indications for things that are gluten-free (as I'm used to on DCL and RCCL). I know my TA has noted this on my reservation, and I will certainly make them aware of it. Are there things in Blu that can be adapted to be gluten-free with consultation and pre-ordering? 

Any experiences dining in Blu and being gluten-free are greatly appreciated!!

I know of people who have done so and they were quite impressed.   Like on RCI you should contact the special needs department (special_needs@celebritycruises.com) about 60 days prior to your cruise.  Additionally, when you board, go to BLU (deck 5 AFT) and see the maitre 'd.  Make them aware and they will help you get set for the first night.  When you are at dinner (btw, they will leave a note in your cabin "suggesting" a time for dinner for the first night (to balance the load in BLU)) speak to your server and they should provide you with a copy of the next day's menu and tell you what can be made gluten free.

Remember, lunch is not served in BLU...

Steve

One of our cruising friends is gluten free by necessity and he has never had an issue with the meals in Blu.  Typically the waiter will discuss with him the menu for the next night and have something prepared for him gluten free.  Deserts included!  The only issue has been when the rest of us give him a bad time about rice pudding, but that is another story.  Just talk to your waiter and all will be well.  Have fun!

42 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I've just made the switch from a previously booked Disney Magic 4-night Western cruise to a 7-night Eastern cruise on the Equinox embarking a year from today! Super excited as this will be my first time on Celebrity!

I'm booked in Aqua Class as it was not that much more than what I was paying on DCL for an obstructed balcony (plus I love the rooms like the Persian Gardens, so not having to pay for that more than makes up the difference to me). I know that as Aqua Class I'll be eating dinners in Blu and can eat breakfast in there as well. I've looked at some menus I've found and don't see any indications for things that are gluten-free (as I'm used to on DCL and RCCL). I know my TA has noted this on my reservation, and I will certainly make them aware of it. Are there things in Blu that can be adapted to be gluten-free with consultation and pre-ordering? 

Any experiences dining in Blu and being gluten-free are greatly appreciated!!

My mom is celiac, and loves celebrity (esp. Gluten free breadsticks).

• Like 1

My wife is GF and she has had excellent experiences on our three Celebrity cruises. We are also pescatarian which adds complexity. We were in Aqua on Millennium in 2017, a veranda on Eclipse and a veranda on Equinox this year. Both Blu and the MDR did a great job regardless of the ship.

Like others have recommended, talk the restaurant wait staff on the first day. From then on they should always bring you GF bread and will walk you through the menu options. They will typically show you what the menu will be the next day so you can pre-order if you wish. We even did BLU for breakfast by it was so good.

Everything in the buffet is marked with icons to show if it is GF, vegetarian, etc. The Equinox even had their GF desserts separate from the rest. If something is not marked please ask an attendant to get the chef. My wife was curious about a particular dessert that had no label. The lead buffet chef called the pastry chef that made the cake and she came up to confirm the ingredients.

• Thanks 1

I am gluten free and have sailed on the Summit, Aqua exclusively, for Blu.

They went out of their way to provide Gluten free items for me.

Like others have said the Buffet has quite a few gluten free options and desserts that

were out of this world.

I can't imagine anyone else doing this better.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Last March when we traveled on the Equinox, I had no issues getting gluten free items.  We ate in the main dinning room.  Every meal had gluten free bread waiting for me.  I was able to pick from the menu the night before , they have a separate area in the kitchen that all special meals are prepared so that there is no cross contamination.

I have been on several Equinox cruises.  I have to eat gluten free.  As stated, everything in the buffet is marked if gluten free and there is a separate area for gf desserts.  Personally, I have not had much luck reviewing the menu the night before and requesting the entree be gluten free.  I usually get told it can’t be done.  Be careful, because  they may say it’s gluten free when I can see it’s not!  I personally think the gf bread is terrible.  I bring my own gf bagels on board and bring them to breakfast so I can have my smoked salmon on them.  

Also, in the buffet, the gf pizza and pasta are very good.  And gf macaroons at Cafe Al Bacio are excellent.