Costa Maya and Cozumel - Which is best for Ruins

Willow1213

Hello CruiseCritic -

We we are taking our first cruise in September to the Western Caribbean. The Celebrity Equinox calls on both Costa Maya and Cozumel. We want to spend one beach day and one day exploring ruins. What are your recommendations for which port is best for which adventure?

Extra bonus points, the Cozumel date falls in our 10th wedding anniversary. 

I've been to both and I would do the ruins from Costa Maya and the beach at Cozumel.  Costa Maya is a port that was built strictly for cruise ships.  I was there when it was being built.  There was nothing there but a short trip to the fishing village that didn't even have electricity in all the huts.  Now it has been built up but it isn't authentic Mexico except some in the fishing village that has been built up.  The cruise port if just that the cruise port built up for passengers.  It is about an hour drive to amazing ruins.  No true ruins right at the port.

Cozumel has very small ruins on the island that are okay but not what you think of as ruins.  To get to ruins from here you must take a ferry to the mainland then travel to the ruins.  I'm sure it would take you more than an hour to get to the ruins.  Some cruise ships will drop passengers off at the mainland for ruins tour but only if you booked through them.  Cozumel has nice beaches.  You will have a choice of packages, all inclusive, or pay as you go.  I would pick this for my anniversary over going to the ruins even though I love ruins and have been to many in Mexico.

Also, when going to ruins take and use bug spray.  depending on which you go to you will probably also need sunscreen.  Take water and drink it.  It will be a long hot day but worth it.

• 3 weeks later...