Does anyone remember

mcase131

HI,  we were in Costa Maya a few years ago and went to a beach and rented chairs from a Canadian who opened a restaurant on the water.  There was a book store right next to the restaurant. It was fairly close to the port.  At the time the taxi ride was only $4.00 each way.

Does anyone  know what the name of this place was or if it even exists anymore?

Tropicante and Nancy’s Bookstore?  Technically it is in downtown Mahahual beach area?  I am pretty sure the restaurant is still going strong, but I don’t know about the bookstore.  Unfortunately, we did not get to go there in this January.  We were going to stop by and grab a bottle of their moonshine whiskey, but literally ran out of time due to the excursion we were on running a little long.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Tropicante in November 2017 and I can vaguely remember shelves of books, but for some reason I was thinking they were brought mostly by cruise passengers and left with Steve? I could be totally off there. We took the shuttle thing, I think it was just a couple bucks a person (there were 26 of us in our group) for the ride there. 

We went years ago to a place owned by Canadians and recommended here - The Cat's Meow.  Sadly, I heard they did not return after the hurricane.  We had our best day ever there.  I'm looking for something comparable on our cruise next week.

26 minutes ago, travelingirl70 said:

We went years ago to a place owned by Canadians and recommended here - The Cat's Meow.  Sadly, I heard they did not return after the hurricane.  We had our best day ever there.  I'm looking for something comparable on our cruise next week.

Kinda hard to find something comparable to Cat's Meow these days.  You'll be shocked at the changes.  Take a look at the websites for Blue Kay, Tropicante (Steve's Canadian if that matters), Pitaya and maybe Pez Quadro.  All have good reps and generally have good service.  Pitaya may have switched to an AI or at least offer an AI package.  Pez Quadro has both AI and walk in-PAYGO.  Blue Kay has a charge for loungers.  Tropicante has no charge but requests you buy drinks and food, plus you can reserve loungers on line (no up front charge).