Food-Emerald vs Scenic?

SpringBreakMom

We are looking at itineraries on both lines.  After extensive research it seems most people find the food on Emerald "good".  Nothing to complain about, but nothing to excited about either.  Reviews for Scenic seem to be more enthusiastic.  Hubby and I really enjoy a good meal, so food quality may be a deciding factor for us.  If AMA was sailing our preferred itinerary next year they would probably be our top choice.  I know taste is subjective, but I would love to hear others opinions.  If you can include ship name as well it would be great, as I know sometimes there is variation ship to ship.  TIA

7 hours ago, SpringBreakMom said:

I know taste is subjective, but I would love to hear others opinions.  If you can include ship name as well it would be great, as I know sometimes there is variation ship to ship.  TIA

We have found it really depends on the chef - and his team.  And, that is one thing you have no control over on any line.  

Someone may have had phenomenal meals on a certain boat - but, if the chef moves - the experience may change. 

Many people rave about the food on AMA, but the food was average on our AMA cruise.  One of our best cruises - food wise - was in Russia... completely surprised us.  

We have travelled with both Emerald and Scenic - and didn't feel there was any difference of note in the food.  Just my opinion here...

Fran

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your reply Fran!  It really was very helpful.  Fingers crossed we get an inspired chef 🙂  Since you have sailed on both Emerald and Scenic could I ask you another question?  Did you see any great difference in the excursions?  I know many more are included with Scenic.  I am just hoping they are of comparable quality.  I do know that those too will vary with the guide for the day.

10 hours ago, SpringBreakMom said:

Since you have sailed on both Emerald and Scenic could I ask you another question?  Did you see any great difference in the excursions?  I know many more are included with Scenic.  I am just hoping they are of comparable quality.  I do know that those too will vary with the guide for the day.

No, no real difference in the excursions.  Everyone hires local guides - and it is rare to get a "dud".  We have had some that weren't up to snuff - but honestly can't remember which company they were with.  There are some "exclusive" ones with Scenic, and they have those pretty much down to an art as far as organization goes. 

Whatever you decide.... Enjoy!!

Fran

• Thanks 1

We have sailed on two Scenic trips. South of France and the Douro. On the former we had great food but on the Douro it was terrible. More often than not cold and poorly prepared. Even worse was the scrum to get a table at meal times  especially on the smaller ship. The staff however are amazing.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunday golf said:

We have sailed on two Scenic trips. South of France and the Douro. On the former we had great food but on the Douro it was terrible. More often than not cold and poorly prepared. Even worse was the scrum to get a table at meal times  especially on the smaller ship. The staff however are amazing.

So sorry for your experience on the Douro!  Thanks so much for sharing both the good and the bad!

Now we had a fantastic cruise on Scenic Azure last year. Mind you our cruise director was about the worst we have ever had on Scenic though this was made up by the tour guide that we had, Maria Helena, she was brilliant. The food was very interesting very Portuguese, excellent. The staff were as usual superb. This was our eighth Scenic cruise we’re off to the south of France again this year. Happy cruising CA

16 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Now we had a fantastic cruise on Scenic Azure last year. Mind you our cruise director was about the worst we have ever had on Scenic though this was made up by the tour guide that we had, Maria Helena, she was brilliant. The food was very interesting very Portuguese, excellent. The staff were as usual superb. This was our eighth Scenic cruise we’re off to the south of France again this year. Happy cruising CA

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I would say that the fact you are on Scenic cruise #8 speaks for itself!

I've sailed on Emerald once and on Scenic twice.  Scenic had the better food but I really did like the Emerald Dawn with its little swimming pool and the big open balcony.  Also, we had a great tour director on Emerald but that was just luck. As mentioned before, a lot has to do with the chef.

Sailed with Scenic Amber. breakfast was a buffet with omelet station...nothing to complain about there.  Lunch was either on an excursion with Scenic or in town by ourselves. Scenic tries to match food with the area and any meal we ate off ship we tried to eat local.  All meals were great and well presented.  It is not ocean cruise food or portions. You can order extra from the 2-3 listed dinner meals but who wants a hamburger when traveling through Austria?  to me that's akin to buying at McDonalds when in London. McDonalds doesn't have fish and chips

On 2/26/2019 at 8:48 PM, nancyevans said:

I've sailed on Emerald once and on Scenic twice.  Scenic had the better food but I really did like the Emerald Dawn with its little swimming pool and the big open balcony.  Also, we had a great tour director on Emerald but that was just luck. As mentioned before, a lot has to do with the chef.

Thanks for the input!  Sounds like we just need to keep our fingers crossed for good chef and tour director!

34 minutes ago, doverboy said:

Sailed with Scenic Amber. breakfast was a buffet with omelet station...nothing to complain about there.  Lunch was either on an excursion with Scenic or in town by ourselves. Scenic tries to match food with the area and any meal we ate off ship we tried to eat local.  All meals were great and well presented.  It is not ocean cruise food or portions. You can order extra from the 2-3 listed dinner meals but who wants a hamburger when traveling through Austria?  to me that's akin to buying at McDonalds when in London. McDonalds doesn't have fish and chips

Agree on the regional food, it is part of the whole experience! When my daughter told me she was eating McDonald's while she was backpacking through Europe I almost cried.  

This year we are re-doing the South of France, the first time was before the re-fit and one of our excursions was to the Paul Boucus institute in Lyon a must for all foodies (I do dislike that expression). This year Scenic now has the Culinaire experience so they really do have to rise to the occasion, we will see. We survived our chef buying cheap Brussels sprouts at the wrong time of year, what a mistake to make! An evening of seafood was superb. With Scenic there is always a choice of chicken, fish or steak other than the set menus if that’s what you want. On one cruise one of our Australian friends wanted Lamb chops at breakfast and he got them. Don’t forget if you are allergic or particularly dislike anything let the restaurant team know they will remember. Happy cruising CA

20 hours ago, Canal archive said:

This year we are re-doing the South of France, the first time was before the re-fit and one of our excursions was to the Paul Boucus institute in Lyon a must for all foodies (I do dislike that expression). This year Scenic now has the Culinaire experience so they really do have to rise to the occasion, we will see. We survived our chef buying cheap Brussels sprouts at the wrong time of year, what a mistake to make! An evening of seafood was superb. With Scenic there is always a choice of chicken, fish or steak other than the set menus if that’s what you want. On one cruise one of our Australian friends wanted Lamb chops at breakfast and he got them. Don’t forget if you are allergic or particularly dislike anything let the restaurant team know they will remember. Happy cruising CA

"Foodie" can sound pretentious can't it?  We both just love food, and hubby loves to cook so I am not sure what to call us LOL  On previous cruises we have really enjoyed chef's table and galley tours.  I did look into the Culinaire itinerary, but the actual ports didn't sound like what we are looking for, especially as neither of are really wine drinkers.  For this cruise the ports are priority one, but we have found a good regional meal adds so much to the overall experience.  I hope the Culinaire experience is everything you hope for.  I hope perhaps you might write a post about it when you return.  Enjoy!!

We have cruised Scenic once (second time will be this April) and Emerald twice. Plus we have been on 9 other river cruises. 

Of the two Scenic & Emerald, I prefer Scenic! There really is a difference, Scenic is luxury and Emerald is not. We liked the tours better on Scenic, especially the Sundowner and the Enrich experience that Emerald did not offer. We also loved the Tailor-made personal GPS device and the e-bikes . Scenic also offers the Chef's Table for guests staying on the Diamond Deck, not to mention the Butler service. 
It is just so much better on Scenic than it was on Emerald.
Can you tell we really love to cruise.

15 hours ago, catnt2 said:

We have cruised Scenic once (second time will be this April) and Emerald twice. Plus we have been on 9 other river cruises. 

Of the two Scenic & Emerald, I prefer Scenic! There really is a difference, Scenic is luxury and Emerald is not. We liked the tours better on Scenic, especially the Sundowner and the Enrich experience that Emerald did not offer. We also loved the Tailor-made personal GPS device and the e-bikes . Scenic also offers the Chef's Table for guests staying on the Diamond Deck, not to mention the Butler service. 
It is just so much better on Scenic than it was on Emerald.
Can you tell we really love to cruise.

Thanks for the input, especially on the tours! Scenic does sound great.  We are just trying to decide if the price difference is worth it to us.  

1 hour ago, SpringBreakMom said:

Thanks for the input, especially on the tours! Scenic does sound great.  We are just trying to decide if the price difference is worth it to us.  

To decide if it is worth it, you really have to do a table with all the included amenities and what you will pay extra for:

Airfare

transport to and from the ship

expense of extra tours you really want to do

laundry 

cocktails/alcohol

soft drinks

tips to crew

tips to drivers and guides 

extras provided: Scenic sundowners, concerts

Insurance if cruise can’t continue

After you do a thorough analysis, Scenic may not be any more expensive than “cheaper” cruises with add on expenses.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nancyevans said:

To decide if it is worth it, you really have to do a table with all the included amenities and what you will pay extra for:

Airfare

transport to and from the ship

expense of extra tours you really want to do

laundry 

cocktails/alcohol

soft drinks

tips to crew

tips to drivers and guides 

extras provided: Scenic sundowners, concerts

Insurance if cruise can’t continue

After you do a thorough analysis, Scenic may not be any more expensive than “cheaper” cruises with add on expenses.

You are so right!  There are many things to consider.  I actually created a spreadsheet so I could compare the total prices based on our specific preferences. The differences, or lack thereof can be surprising!   Neither of us drink much, so included alcohol doesn't matter much to us.  For others, I could see this being a much bigger point.  Those bar tabs can add up!  Willingness to do an air deviation if air is included, or size of credit back will be a major factor as we plan to do some traveling pre-cruise.  For that, we prefer to do independent travel so I really don't want to add a tour extension package.

While Scenic does total out a bit more expensive, I am really drawn to their excursion options. 
For us the port experience is second only to affordability, that may tip the scales.  Great food would be a definite bonus as we find it really adds to the entire experience!

Edited by SpringBreakMom