Child Excursion Rates

panda24

I am in the process of booking excursions for our Alaskan cruise in NCL Joy. LO is two (2) years old. Both the whale watching in Juneau and train in Skagway consider her an infant and FREE. I verified on their websites and via phone. I called NCL since they’re charging for her tickets. Approximately $200 for both excursions. NCL stated they charged the same as the company and that these companies did not consider her free. I have screenshots from the websites. Any suggestions on not being price gouged by NCL? I understand transfers for the the whale watching, but she’s two and would be in a parent’s or grandparent’s lap. 

Have you already completed the online check in  with NCL?  I was trying to buy the Soda Package for my kids (which is less than for adults) and there wasn't an option for me to do it.  I called NCL and they said that since I hadn't completed the online check in yet, everyone in the reservation had defaulted to 33 years old.  There wasn't an option for the kids soda package because they didn't think there were any kids.  Same thing for excursions - we were being charged the adult price because it looked like we were all 33.  NCL did allow me to cancel and rebook excursions for the correct price.  Maybe they are charging you for the infant for the same reason...

We are booking the train directly. It’s a very short walk from the pier to the depot. I’m still looking at the logistics for the whale watching. It’s also the principle of knowing that they shouldn’t be charging that amount, especially when questioned about it. 

I honestly don't think you'll get NCL to budge on the price.  I don't think they can.  It's in a database somewhere and all they can do is read from their website.  We've seen this type of pricing discrepancies on both NCL and when we recently cruised Royal.  I tried calling Royal out on it but the people I talked to were clueless.  I think booking outside of NCL is the way to go.  We used Chilkoot Charters and did the bus, rail, dog cart excursion when we were in Skagway.  Our kiddo LOVED the dog cart ride in Caribou Crossing.  It looks like they charge for the little though, so maybe you don't want that tour.  Anyway, with Royal I had the best response when I emailed people.  The folks on the phone seem to really have no idea what's going on.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, PJDH4 said:

Have you already completed the online check in  with NCL?  I was trying to buy the Soda Package for my kids (which is less than for adults) and there wasn't an option for me to do it.  I called NCL and they said that since I hadn't completed the online check in yet, everyone in the reservation had defaulted to 33 years old.  There wasn't an option for the kids soda package because they didn't think there were any kids.  Same thing for excursions - we were being charged the adult price because it looked like we were all 33.  NCL did allow me to cancel and rebook excursions for the correct price.  Maybe they are charging you for the infant for the same reason...

Thank you!! I’ll try that and hope it updates.