First peer at Red Hook Piers

cruiserking

Hi All & Travel-to-go,

I say BRAVO to your Comments

I really wouldn't want to use the Staten Island Ferry for the rest of my alternate cruise alternative.

Concerned,

:confused: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

ESLO,

<Blush, blush!>

There's always the Circle-line Tours!

Commodore Warwick told me there is a reef just north of the berth, hence the reason you can't go above and around Governor's Island. You can actually see it in some aerial photos.

Scary! I'm surprised they didn't schedule this for the end of October!

I wonder if the ghost will abandon shiip! <G>

Karie,

who is just as glad she is not on the maiden Red Hook voyage

Hmm Red Hook: sounds like a really bloodthirsty caribbean pirate!

Hi All & Travel-to-go,

Has anyone thought this one out! This is the Very First Time she will be coming in without even a trail dry run in this area, no less attempting such movements & maneuvers! Was that ever thought about?

They navigated Miami Harbor and see what happened.

If anything should happen to delay this ship, do they know what they will do?

Concerned,

:confused: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

I know one of the Harbour Pilots who has boarded and guided in both Queens. They are well prepared for this event. NY/NJ harbours have great pilots. During a bridge tour Captain told us QM2 is state of the art with regard to manuevers. On the end of the bridge there is even a plexiglass floor window so that the pier approach can be viewed from this perspective while steering the ship sideways.

On the end of the bridge there is even a plexiglass floor window so that the pier approach can be viewed from this perspective while steering the ship sideways.

And naughty passengers can look UP into the bridge from the deck below;)

Peter

Just got my cruise package for the QM2 Independence Day Sampler and was a little dismayed at the Red Hook departure. The suggestion to google car services is a great one. There are many good ones in NYC (we live in Manhattan) and the prices will be a heck of a lot less than the Cunard transfer prices and probably more reliable than a yellow cab.

My friend lives in Battery Park City and was going to take pictures of our cruise leaving Manhattan - I guess that's off.

We are joining the east bound 17th. August crossing having vacationed in Florida. Although we are spending a night in New York as part of the Cunard package on the 16th. Cunard will not arrange the transfer to the Ship because we elected to spend 10 days in the States. Although our flight is booked through them and is part of our package.

I does make you wonder who makes the rules.

Regards

Chris

Just got my cruise package for the QM2 Independence Day Sampler and was a little dismayed at the Red Hook departure. The suggestion to google car services is a great one. There are many good ones in NYC (we live in Manhattan) and the prices will be a heck of a lot less than the Cunard transfer prices and probably more reliable than a yellow cab.

My friend lives in Battery Park City and was going to take pictures of our cruise leaving Manhattan - I guess that's off.

Okay,

I was going to post this earlier, but it isn't my information. Once of the members of this board lives in Brooklyn. She happens to know someone whose nephew or something runs a car service IN BROOKLYN. He has flat rates to the airport and such, and will pick people up in Manhattan and bring them to Brooklyn and vice versa. She tried to post this before, but for some reason, it never posted. She's going to try again, and if it doesn't post, she will b/c me the info and I will post the name of the company and phone number (and web site if they have one) So rest assured, we will not be left at the altar, so to speak, bereft and forlorn <G>

Info coming soon!

Karie,

who will drive down and park when it is her turn in September

not to raise issues but are you sure that is in Brooklyn?

It is a good picture.

There appear to be no buildings by the bow in Brooklyn, at least not at 9:30 this morning....

share.dell.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGM7

I think you might be right, it sure doesn't look like New York in background. I took the picture from the here:

http://www.wnbc.com/news/8720543/detail.html#

Pretty idiotic to feature an alternate cruise terminal shot for a story that highlights the opening of a brand new terminal opening in Brooklyn. The local news should have had Smeyer418 on the case and we might know what was going on, we coulda hadda a Contendah!

Cruiserking:D

Sorry if this is a question that has been asked/answered before, but would appreciate the info. What is available for disembarking passengers doing own transportation to mid town Manhattan hotels? Are taxis/car service available at port w/out prior reservation? Cost shown in some info is $40 - is this about right? thank you.

Sorry if this is a question that has been asked/answered before, but would appreciate the info. What is available for disembarking passengers doing own transportation to mid town Manhattan hotels? Are taxis/car service available at port w/out prior reservation? Cost shown in some info is $40 - is this about right? thank you.

The reports so far is that it went very smoothly and there was hardly any traffic...and sufficent cabs...much better than the cruise terminal in Manhattan. I was down there twice. The cab ride with tips and going throught the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel should be $40.00 total....but I am sure someone will post what it actually cost today.

Here is a link to WABCTV - New York's local coverage of the opening day ceremony at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Captain Bernard Warner can be seen at the podium with Mayor Bloomberg.

http://ww2.7online.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=755077&h1=&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=122500&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//abclocal.go.com/wabc/&rnd=21605067

Cruiserking

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, that's it alright.

Flawless embarkation, smoother than any I've been on. Security was tight but not overbearing. We actually had to give our driver the directions from JFK Airport and we paid a $45 flat fee. Leaving the port on a wonderful sunny afternoon with the band playing New York, New York and the tugboats spraying red, white and blue streams while passing the Statue of Liberty...Priceless!!

(Uh-oh....all of a sudden realizing she sounds like a typical American commercial...) Ahhhhhhhhhhh...but what a moment to treasure.:D

(Photos to follow)

Ladymacwilly

Thanks CK!

You know I always enjoy your posts.

Let's see.....the shortened, (jet-lagged), review:

"Fabulous! Magnificent! Incredible! Lovely! Fantastic! Wow - when do we get to go again!" :D :D :D

And the impromptu Noel Coward tribute with our tablemate, Sam, and the pianist in the Commadore Lounge...what a treat!

"Life is a banquent and most poor b*s*a*d* are starving!" (Sam's favorite quote) I found that quite suitable. :rolleyes:

I called a limo company to arrange a transfer from the arriving QM2 to my hotel in Manhattan. They were most helpful and were proceeding to arrange everything until I told them the transfer would be from Red Hook on a Sunday morning.

Suddenly, they realized they had no cars available and told me I would need to call another company.

I wonder? Could it be a real lack of equipment that day or the fact I was trying to get a booking from Red Hook?

We probably will be left taking the bus arranged by Cunard which I've been told can take up to 4 hours to reach all the hotels enroute. Not exactly looking forward to this.

I hope someone else can report a more positive experience in doing a booking. I know that recently there were (unbooked) limos lined up to take passengers at Red Hook -- but one still had to wait in line for some time, not exactly what one wants to do after a luxury cruise.

Have posted this information before, but here goes again.

Promenade Car Service - 718-858-6666.

They will take your reservation in advance and give you a price when you call. They are familiar with the area and are located not far away from Red Hook in Brooklyn Heights.

I have personally spoken to Gary of Promenade CS and he said they would be happy to serve the passangers of QM2.

Maria

Have posted this information before, but here goes again.

Promenade Car Service - 718-858-6666.

They will take your reservation in advance and give you a price when you call. They are familiar with the area and are located not far away from Red Hook in Brooklyn Heights.

I have personally spoken to Gary of Promenade CS and he said they would be happy to serve the passangers of QM2.

Maria

You go girl!

You're getting this right from a Brooklyn girl, folks, so she speaks the truth.

Brooklyn is not some outpost on the edge of nowhere.

OTOH, Just like anyplace else, these guys would rather take someone somewhere where they can grab another fare, quickly. they don't want to do deadhead back (or there) if they can fill the car. I dont know about limos, but I have heard that if a cabbie in New York refuses you because it isn't a profitable fare, a call to the NewYork Taxi commision (with the hack license number/name) will have his ticket pulled for a length. It is illegal for them to do that! Again, I don't know if the same applies to livery/limo.

Karie,

who hasn't taken too many of either in her life!

Here is an image I shot on April 15 at the Brooklyn Pier. This is the view we had from the parking lot. The terminal is cut off on the right. I took many shots of the terminal and people unloading from cars, but they are on 35mm film not yet developed. On the lower left is Governer's Island, and Lower Manhattan, of course, is on the left in the distance. I was very pleased with the view of the QM2, much improved from the view afforded at the Manhattan Pier. But as to the view of Manhattan, although it is postcard-pretty from the dock, it is very much at an arm length distance and nothing like what you get sailing down the Hudson from the Manhattan Pier. The Brooklyn terminal, parking lot, and unloading area were all much better than the Manhattan Pier in terms of appearance, and to a lesser extent, functionality.

1555254135_QM2BrooklynPier.jpg.e088ec54de6594136a79867c578f268f.jpg

I found this image that I took from one of the port side upper decks. Embarking passengers go in the door below the blue emblem. If you are going to park in the pier parking lot, you continue on, and you can drop your bags off at the curb next to where those white arrows are on the road. They process the incoming luggage through that white building on the left. The parking lot is fairly close, and the walk from it once you are parked is painless since the luggage has already been taken away, and the view of the QM2 at that point is striking. As you can see, it does not look congested at all when I took the picture. As always, crowds come and go throughout the day so one minute it can be almost deserted, the next minute people everywhere. But I never saw it get congested at all.

Brooklyn3.jpg.60aa0cfc5d0f91705d1813240f29fa5e.jpg

Archived